HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV91209
Name:Hill House, Ugborough

Summary

House, formerly a village farmhouse. 17th century or possibly earlier, remodelled in early 19th century and restored around 1970.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 676 558
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Shown on the late 19th century historic map.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

'Hill House' is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

UGBOROUGH - SX 6755 - 15/134 Hill House, including cross base immediately - south - GV II
House, formerly a village farmhouse. C17 or possibly earlier, remodelled in circa early C19 and restored in circa 1970. Cob refaced in early C19 in stone rubble now whitewashed. Concrete tile roof with gabled and hipped ends. 3 rooms and cross- passage plan. Stack at left hand lower gable end and large lateral stack at centre rear with 2-stair turrets left and right. 2 storeys. 4-window range. Circa early C19 casements with glazing bars, ground floor of 3-lights, first floor 2-lights, all with slate cills, ground floor with flat stone arches. To left of centre cross- passage doorway with C20 glazed door. Right-hand plank door to inner room a later insertion. Interior: Roof largely replaced. Principals at lower end are visible in first floor room. 2 stone newel stairs at rear. Screen at lower side of passage missing, the other screen if it survives is covered in later partition. The 2 rear stair turrets suggests original house had an open hall and therefore probably of early C16 or earlier origin.
(See related record of socket stone of cross).
Listing NGR: SX6766255848

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #110512 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV121253Related to: Cross base at Hill House, Ugborough (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 9 2018 12:21PM