HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV91803
Name:Signal Box west of Credition Station Main Range

Summary

An attractive 19th century signal box, typical of early designs by the London and South-Western Railway. One of a good group of railway buildings of mixed dates at Crediton station.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 838 995
Map Sheet:SX89NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 387107

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SIGNAL BOX (XIX - 1860 AD to 1865 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, Towns 1855-95 1:500 (Cartographic). SDV348147.

"Signal Box" marked.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Railway signal box. Probably circa 1862 for the London and South-Western Railway ( LSWR). Upper storey timber-frame, clad with weatherboarding, ground floor red brick laid in English bond; low-pitched hipped slate roof with lead rolls to hips and short ridge; red brick lateral stack. Exterior: 2 storeys. Flight of timber steps on the east side lead up to a projecting timber-framed porch on posts with 4-pane fixed windows on the east and south sides, the frame clad with vertical boarding. The box has a tier of 4 over 4-pane windows below the eaves. Stack has shaft with moulded cornice; rear (north) right single-storey outhut.
Interior: Not inspected.
Historical Note: The complicated early history of the line, which began in 1838, led to its being known as 'The Vicar of Bray Railway', but eventually the Crediton and Exeter Railway (Act of 1845) was leased to the Bristol and Exeter Railway who converted to broad guage and opened on 12 May 1851, until the LSWR took over in 1862).
An attractive 19th century signal box, described by Pevsner as "typical of early designs by the L.S.W.R.". One of a good group of railway buildings of mixed dates at Crediton station.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348147Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #109399 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV78916Related to: Crediton Railway Station (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 4 2013 9:30AM