HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV91809
Name:27 Downeshead Lane, Crediton

Summary

House, circa 1730 in origin, replanned internally, but some 18th century features survive. Possibly the earliest brick building in Crediton.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 839 000
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 386978

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVIII - 1701 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

House circa 1730 in origin, replanned internally. House Flemish bond brick on local stone rubble footings, rear elevation partly roughcast; hipped slate roof laid in diminishing courses;end stacks with brick shafts.
Plan: single depth, 2 rooms wide with central entrance facing the stair.Evidence that the left hand room was originally smaller and had a service room to the rear, and the main entrance led directly into a larger room to the right with the stair rising against the rear wall. A single storey service room, set back at the right end, has been raised to 2 storeys, probably in the 1930s or 40s.
Exterior: The House of 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front plus one window to the right end addition. Central 4-panel door, the lower panels flush, the upper replaced with glass, with a simple moulded doorcase.Curved corrugated asbestos porch hood on probably late C19 plain cast iron brackets. The left hand ground floor window is an original early C18 3-light casement with bead moulded mullions, square leaded panes and original window funiture. Ground floor right and the first floor window above it are circa 1940s in a matching style to the original. First floor window left is a probably C19 3-light timber casement, 2 panes per light. First floor centre window is a 2-light casement with square leaded panes. The left hand addition has one ground and one first floor C20 window. Interior: re-planned internally but some features survive. Fitted cupboards are set into both end walls. A number of 2-panel early C18 doors survive, some clearly re-sited but likely to originate from the house. Small section of dado panelling adjacent to the front door.
The house may be the earliest brick building in Crediton. It was formerly owned by the Downes Estate and is said to have been lived in by the estate blacksmith. It forms an important element in the courtyard plan of the Buller Square group (q.v.),parts of which are probably late C16.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109403 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV23394Related to: 1-4 Buller Square, Downshead Lane, Crediton (Building)
MDV91811Related to: Barn, 27 Downeshead Lane, Crediton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 25 2013 3:52PM