HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV92
Name:Chapel of St. John, Hartland

Summary

The chapel of St. John was built on the site of the old town hall in 1839.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 258 244
Map Sheet:SS22SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHartland
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishHARTLAND

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS22SE/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (Built, XIX - 1839 AD to 1839 AD)

Full description

Pearse Chope, R., 1902, The Early History of the Manor of Hartland, 435 (Article in Serial). SDV6735.

Market house and town hall, Hartland, demolished to make room for the chapel of ease.


Rogers, I., 1922 - 1923, Some Ancient Clocks in North Devon, 360 (Article in Serial). SDV6732.

Rogers refers to building's conversion into a chapel of ease in 1839.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: North Devon, 95-96 (Monograph). SDV336196.

Chapel of St. John. Built on the site of the old town hall in 1839. Porch with turret on E side, altar faces N instead of E. Typical of period are the two-light windows, each light a lancet, the simple box pews, Gothic reredos, curious pane of stained glass in S window. Clock was made by John Morcombe of Barnstaple in 1622, remade in 1657 when an anchor or recoil escapement and pendulum were inserted.


Department of Environment, 1958, Hartland (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV323245.

Chapel of St. John.
Church of England Chapel. 1839. Built at the instigation of the then rector, William Chanter. Stone rubble walls. Gable ended slate roof.
Plan: rectangular plan running north-south with 2 storey porch on east side.
Exterior: each long side wall is of 5 bays divided by rubble buttresses with offsets, on east side bays 1, 4 and 5 have original 2-light Y-tracery windows with 2 centred heads. Windows on west wall are on bays 1, 3 and 5. Similar style 3-light window on south wall. Large crenellated 2 storey porch on each side in central bay which has 4-centred rubble arch and set-back buttresses at corners. Original clock above arch with datestone of 1839. Timber bell-cote above. Original gates to doorway and panelled double doors inside in 2-centred head doorway.
This building replaced the town hall which was a C17 arcaded structure. Other details: LBS number 21950.


Unknown, 1982, Untitled Source, 3 (Article in Serial). SDV6734.

Chapel was originally the Borough Hall and was handed over to the church for use as a place of worship in the mid 1800's.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 473 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Built on the site of the town hall. No longer used as a chapel.


Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J., 2007, The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report, Survey No. 206 (Report - Assessment). SDV339712.

(Disused) Chapel of St. John (chapel of ease). Built on site of Market House & Town Hall in 1839.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV323245List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1958. Hartland. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 473.
SDV336196Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: North Devon. The Buildings of England: North Devon. Paperback Volume. 95-96.
SDV339712Report - Assessment: Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J.. 2007. The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.22 (rev.1). A4 Stapled + Digital. Survey No. 206.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109444 ]
SDV6732Article in Serial: Rogers, I.. 1922 - 1923. Some Ancient Clocks in North Devon. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 12. Unknown. 360.
SDV6734Article in Serial: Unknown. 1982. North Devon Journal-Herald. 3.
SDV6735Article in Serial: Pearse Chope, R.. 1902. The Early History of the Manor of Hartland. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 34. Unknown. 435.

Associated Monuments

MDV71401Related to: Hartland, Town Hall (Monument)
MDV5504Related to: Town Clock, Hartland (Find Spot)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 13 2015 2:13PM