HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV92118
Name:Footbridge immediately west of Crediton Railway Station Main Range

Summary

An attractive bridge and part of a group of 19th century railway buildings of different dates.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 839 994
Map Sheet:SX89NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 387103

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FOOTBRIDGE (XIX - 1878 AD to 1878 AD (Throughout))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, Towns 1855-95 1:500 (Cartographic). SDV348147.

Shown.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap, Map object based on this source. (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Footbridge over railway line. 1878 (datestone), built for the London and South-Western Railway (LSWR). Rock-faced, grey limestone piers with Bathstone dressings; plate girder iron bridge and stair construction, timber steps.
Plan: each pier contains a small store room and supports 2 flights of steps up to the bridge; those on the west side with landings, those on the east lead onto the station platforms. The east side of the bridge is unfloored and railed off with cast iron railings.
Exterior: The piers have clasping buttresses and parapets with plain coping. Each storeroom has a chamfered doorway on the west side and crank-arched chamfered window on the outer face with a 4-pane sash window. In the parapet above the south window of the south pier there is a chamfered recessed panel with a Shield inscribed "L. & S.W.R.Y. 1878." The flights of steps on the west side of the bridge are supported on 4 cast iron columns fluted capitals. The bridge was formerly roofed over (information from railway worker).
Interior: The storerooms are plain with brick barrel-vaulted roofs.
Historical Note: The complicated early history of the line, which began in 1838, led to its being known as the 'Vicar of Bray Railway', but eventually the Exeter and Crediton Railway (Act of 1845) was leased to the Bristol and Exeter Railway who converted to broad guage and opened May 12 1851 until the LSWR took over the lease in 1862.
An attractive bridge and part of a group of 19th century railway buildings of different dates.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348147Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). Map object based on this source..
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV78916Related to: Crediton Railway Station (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 11 2017 12:00AM