HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV92246
Name:Longcause House, Dartington

Summary

House built about 1823-1825. It is said to have been built on the site of Longcause Barracks, on the foundations of the officer's mess.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 791 611
Map Sheet:SX76SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartington
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishDARTINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Built, XIX - 1823 AD to 1825 AD (Between))

Full description

Wright, J., 2015, Finding Northford. Dartington's Lost Manor, 261 (Article in Serial). SDV359485.

Longcause House was built as a barracks in 1794.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1108350 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Longcause House. House. Built in 1823 or 1825. Said to have been designed by J Brown of Exeter. Stuccoed stone rubble, simple spare slate hipped roof with sprocketted eaves overhanging on paired brackets. Over the centre of the ridge on hexagonal timber bellcote with a tent-shaped lead or zinc roof with a ball finial and weather vane. Rendered chimney stacks one on the right (north east) side and 2 to left of ridge, each with 3 octagonal shafts with short yellow clay pots. Plan: Rectangular plan of 3 rooms deep; 2 principal front rooms and a central entrance hall/passage leading to a stairwell behind the right hand room and a small office/study behind the left hand room. The central passage continues to a rear doorway and to either side there is the kitchen to the right, behind the stair well with its own stairs to the servant's quarters, and to the left, behind the study, a room which was possibly the servant's hall. Exterior: 2 storeys. South east front: symmetrical 3 bays. Large original 12-pane sashes, the ground floor cills almost at ground level. Wide central doorway with moulded doorframe and hall glazed double doors with pattern of margin and arched glazing bars and bottom panels; wide portico with 2 pairs of rendered Doric columns and pilasters supporting an establishment with a moulded cornice. The south west garden front, left hand return, is longer and has wider spaced 3 bays of similar sash windows, but no doorway. The right hand return, north east side has irregular fenestration, 12-pane sash on ground and first floor to left of centre and tall central round- arched stair window with glazing bars radiating at top. C20 garage adjoining right. The rear, north west, is 3 bays, smaller 12-pane first floor sash windows, the ground floor with blind segmental fanlights above and central doorway with moulded doorframe with pilasters and flush-panel door with rectangular fanlight in blind recess. Interior: is largely intact and most of its original joinery is preserved including doors and window shutters etc and most of the original plasterwork survives. The hall has a five groin vaulted plaster ceiling leading to the stair well with an open-well stairs with stick balusters and weathered handrail, open string with shaped tread ends. The stair well and landing ceilings have modillion cornices and elliptical arches with key- motif in the intrados. The modillion cornices and elliptical arches with key-motif in the intrados. The modillion cornices and elliptical arches with key-motif in the intrados. The front right hand room has moulded plaster cornice and frieze with Vitruvian scroll and shallow elliptically arched recess in rear wall. The front left hand has a moulded plaster cornices with a fish-scale pattern frieze. Moulded plaster ceiling centrepiece and round-headed niches either side of the fireplace. The chimney pieces in the front rooms have been replaced. The ground floor office has plaster cornice with egg and dart pattern. The servant's hall behind has a simple moulded plaster cornice. The kitchen has a C19 iron range. The cellars have brick groin vaults and access is from stairs in the kitchen. The house is said to have been built on the site of Longcause Barracks, of 1794, on the foundations of the officers' mess.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV359485Article in Serial: Wright, J.. 2015. Finding Northford. Dartington's Lost Manor. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 147. Digital. 261.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109483 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1108350.

Associated Monuments

MDV42868Related to: Loncause Barracks, Dartington (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 16 2017 10:58AM