HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV92467
Name:Cott Inn, Dartington

Summary

Public House dating to the early 17th century or possibly earlier but subsequently remodelled and extended.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 787 616
Map Sheet:SX76SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartington
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishDARTINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (Built, XVII - 1601 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Wright, J., 2015, Finding Northford. Dartington's Lost Manor, 258-9 (Article in Serial). SDV359485.

The Inn claims to have been licensed since 1320. Wright suggests it may have served the market for the medieval manor of Northford.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1291403 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Cott Inn. Public house. Early C17 or of earlier origins, remodelled probably later C17 and with later alterations and extensions. White painted rendered stone rubble and possibly some cob. Thatched roof originally with gabled ends, but the extensions at either end have ends. Roughcast stone rubble chimney stacks at gable ends of main range, the lower right stack is on the ridge because of the extension at the right end; the stacks have tapered caps and slate weathering. Plan: originally a three room and through passage plan, the lower end to the right (north) and a higher end room to the left; both ends heated by gable end stacks. There is no sign of a hall stack, possibly a lateral stack since removed. Alternatively there could well have been an unheated central room. This may have been created from an open hall, for which there is no evidence. The higher left end room has a stone newel stairs to the right of the stack in the gable end wall. At the lower (right) end a probably later C17 extension with a stone newel stairs in a turret on the front at the junction with the original house. This addition seems to have been extended again possibly in the Cl8 and higher left end was also extended by one room possibly in the C18 to form one only long range. Exterior: 2 storeys. East front: irregular approximately 10 window range, some of the first floor windows break the eaves with eyebrows in the thatch. Mostly Cl9 and some C20 2 and 3-light casements with glazing bars, the ground floor let is older and of 4-lights. To the left of centre the blocked doorway of the former through passage retains its old wooden frame. To the right and left of the original range 2 C20 gabled porches with slate roofs to doorways inserted into the higher and lower end rooms. To right of centre at junction with lower right end extension a semi-circular stair turret over which the main thatched roof is carried over. The rear (west) elevation was possibly originally the front and its small windows have been retained; mostly C19 2-light casements with glazing bars. Near the right end a doorway with a C19 plank door and large canopy with thatch of the main roof carried down over it, and with a stone mounting block immediately to its right. At the far right end of the west front a small projection with a rounded corner and a thatched roof. Interior: only a section survives of the plank and muntin screen between the former central room and higher left room; it has scratch moulded and chamfered muntins. The partitions either side of the former passage have been removed and the front and rear doorway of the passage blocked. Any other partitions associated with an unheated central room have also been removed and a C20 public house bar built in the central room. the fireplace at the higher end has a chamfered timber lintel with mutilated (probably step) stops and probably an oven, now blocked. Stone newel stairs to the right of the stack rises from the room behind the stack at the lower end. The closely spaced cross-beams are roughly hewn. On the west originally front wall of the central room a small blocked window with a wooden frame and diagonally set vertical bar. Roof: only the roof space over the higher end was inspected: this has straight principals with lapped joints. The other principals are visible in the first floor rooms and they have straight feet embedded into the tops of the walls.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV359485Article in Serial: Wright, J.. 2015. Finding Northford. Dartington's Lost Manor. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 147. Digital. 258-9.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109554 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1291403.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 16 2017 10:49AM