HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV9256
Name:Sampson's Farm Restaurant


Sampsons Farm built in the 16th century with later alterations and additions


Grid Reference:SX 856 746
Map Sheet:SX87SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishKingsteignton
Ecclesiastical ParishKINGSTEIGNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX87SE/54
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval to XIX - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1938, 109NE. Revision of 1933 with additions in 1938. Provisional Edition (Cartographic). SDV303843.

Department of Environment, 1952, Newton Abbot RD, 72 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV304573.

17th century. Roughcast over cob with thatched roof. Large external chimney.

Mitchell, M., 1979, Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology: Ball clay survey of South Devon (Worksheet). SDV337798.

Sampsons Farm a Listed Building. Other details: No 29.

Griffiths, D. M., 1983, Untitled Source (Site Visit). SDV339767.

L-shaped. Lateral stack on front and end stack to west. Reputed to have cross-passage. Also one of its barns is said to have had a beam with 16-- carved on it, but this now destroyed.

1983, Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV339768.

Reed, S. J. + Turton, S. D., 2001, Archaeological Assessment of Bovey Basin Mineral Site. Part 1 Overview, 19, 22 (Report - Assessment). SDV336226.

Other details: Figure 5, site 60; figure 6, site 17.

Exeter Archaeology, 2007, Archaeological Assessment of Southacre and John Acres Lane/ Whitepit Operational Areas (Bovey Basin ROMP), 2 & 7 (Report - Assessment). SDV339561.

Department of Environment, 28/04/1987, Kingsteignton, 97 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV289967.

Sampson's Farm Restaurant (formerly listed as Sampsons farmhouse). Farmhouse in use as house and restaurant. Early 16th century, remodelled in the 17th century. 18th or 19th century rear left wing. Renovations and repairs after a fire in the 1970s. Whitewashed and rendered, probably cob; thatched roof, gabled at right end, half-hipped at left end, gabled at end of wing; front lateral stack with set-offs, right end stack, end stack to wing. A late medieval open hall house floored over in 2 phases, the inner room (to the left) floored first and jettied into the hall. When the hall was floored a front lateral stack was added and a projecting stair turret on the rear wall. The evolution of the lower end is less clear due to the loss of most of the roof timbers in a late 20th century fire, the carpentry details are similar, however, to the details of the hall, suggesting they were floored at the same time. The 17th century plan is largely intact; 3 rooms and a through passage. The lower end room (to the right) was clearly used as a kitchen although the quality of the carpentry is high. A kitchen wing was added at the rear left, at right angles to the inner room, in the 18th or 19th century, presumably upgrading the lower end to a parlour. An axial rear corridor has been created between the right end and inner room decreasing the depth of the hall and lower end. In the 1970s a fire destroyed most of the roof structure but some medieval timbers survive. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3 window front, the eaves thatch eyebrowed over 3 first floor dormers with 3-light casements, 3 panes per light. 20th century plank and cover strip door to passage to right of centre; 4 ground floor casements; two, three and four-light, 3 panes per light. A deeply-recessed small window at the extreme right into what may be a curing chamber adjacent to the lower end stack. The rear elevation has a good chamfered 16th century shouldered doorframe to the passage, the right hand jamb reset, with a 3 plank door with strap hinges. To the left of the door a small 2-light 17th century mullioned window with rounded chamfered heads to each light. The stair projection has a rounded corner and a 17th century 2-light mullioned stair window with deeply chamfered mullions. Interior: very complete on the ground floor. The lower end room has an ovolo-moulded stopped cross beam, a plank and muntin screen and an open fireplace with a chamfered scroll-stopped lintel and stone rubble jambs. The fireplace has a bread oven but also has 2 low openings, 1 on each side, possibly both originally associated with smoking chambers. The hall has an ovolo-moulded stopped lintel to the fireplace and plank and muntin screens both to the passage and the inner room. The room over the inner room is jettied into the hall, the ends of the joists rounded. The joists oversail a plank and muntin screen with unusually wide planks and muntins. Inner room not inspected but likely to contain features of interest. The rear wing has the remains of an open fireplace with a bread oven. Most of the roof timbers were replaced after the fire but 1 side-pegged jointed cruck survives. A fine evolved house of medieval origins with numerous surviving features of interest.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV289967List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 28/04/1987. Kingsteignton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Bound. 97.
SDV303843Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1938. 109NE. Revision of 1933 with additions in 1938. Provisional Edition. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV304573List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1952. Newton Abbot RD. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 72.
SDV336226Report - Assessment: Reed, S. J. + Turton, S. D.. 2001. Archaeological Assessment of Bovey Basin Mineral Site. Part 1 Overview. Exeter Archaeology Report. 01.80. A4 Stapled + Digital. 19, 22.
SDV337798Worksheet: Mitchell, M.. 1979. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology: Ball clay survey of South Devon. Worksheet.
SDV339561Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2007. Archaeological Assessment of Southacre and John Acres Lane/ Whitepit Operational Areas (Bovey Basin ROMP). Exeter Archaeology Report. 07.37. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2 & 7.
SDV339767Site Visit: Griffiths, D. M.. 1983.
SDV339768Photograph: 1983. Slide.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4322 - Southacre and John Acres Lane/Whitepit
  • EDV4912 - Archaeological Assessment of Bovey Basin Mineral Site

Date Last Edited:Nov 13 2014 12:52PM