HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV92686
Name:Barn and linhay north-east of former longhouse at Canna, Manaton

Summary

Barn with horse-engine house attached. Probably late C18/early C19 possibly incorporating some earlier fabric. C19 linhay attached at right angles and adjoining former house. Granite rubble walls with dressed stone surrounds to doorways. Slate roofs with gable ends, gable end to horse-engine house at rear has granite coping stones with moulded kneeler.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 732 813
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishManaton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMANATON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BARN (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1775 AD to 1835 AD (Between))
  • LINHAY (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

MANATON SX 78 SW 4/5 Barn and linhay immediately to - north-east of former longhouse at Canna GV II
Barn with horse-engine house attached. Probably late C18/early C19 possibly incorporating some earlier fabric. C19 linhay attached at right angles and adjoining former house. Granite rubble walls with dressed stone surrounds to doorways. Slate roofs with gable ends, gable end to horse-engine house at rear has granite coping stones with moulded kneeler. Barn has central threshing floor with tall double doorway at front and smaller one to rear. Engine house at rear operated a threshing machine. 1 room extension to barn at right end. Linhay added at front. Barn single storey with loft at right hand end. Front wall has tall double doorway to right of centre with wooden lintel and dressed stone jambs. Doorway towards left end with granite lintel and first floor opening between the two. Doorway into addition to right with wooden lintel. At left gable end is a tall double doorway. To rear wall is a small doorway left of centre opposing that at the front and a wider doorway to the right. The engine house is square and projects on this side at the right hand end. On the inner face is a tall wide opening with timber lintel. The gable end is partly built into the ground and has 2 openings, one above the other, with plain granite frames. The gable end of the barn extension has a narrow ventilation light on the ground floor and an owl hole on the first floor. The linhay has granite uprights to its front face now partially infilled with openings to the right and left hand ends. The first floor has a corrugated iron front to the hay tallet with a loading doorway. Interior: the main barn has a C20 King post and collar beam roof. The horse engine house has a C19 scissor brace roof. On the ground floor a very substantial chamfered beam runs lengthways.
Listing NGR: SX7327281388

Sources / Further Reading

SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109590 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV77785Part of: Canna farm, Manaton (Monument)
MDV34297Related to: Former longhouse at Canna, Manaton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 12 2013 11:23AM