HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV928
Name:St. Peter's Parish Church, Shirwell

Summary

Parish church of st. Peter. Much restored fifteenth century building. In the chancel is an effigy believed to be that of blanche st. Leger, daughter of william bourchier, lord fitzwarren who died in 1483. Above this is a monument to anne lady chichester (1723). Short unbuttressed 13th century tower. Chancel arch also probably 13th century. Low three-bay arcade separates perpendicular south aisle from nave. Transept on north side of church. Wagon-roofs, open, in chancel, aisle and transept. Church fittings include norman font, stained glass and monuments (pevsner).

Location

Grid Reference:SS 597 374
Map Sheet:SS53NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishShirwell
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHIRWELL

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5288
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53NE/3
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84988.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)475.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84989.

Pevsner, n. /the buildings of england: north devon/(1952)143-144.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84990.

Keen, l. /jbaa/32(1969)144-170 figs. Pls. /a series of seventeenth and eighteenth century lead-glazed relief tiles from north devon.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84991.

Doe/hhr:shirwell/(16/11/1984)32.


KEEN, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV9723.

Keen notes occurrence of post-medieval relief tiles from north devon in shirwell church (keen).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177625.

Parish church of st. Peter. Much restored fifteenth century building. In the chancel is an effigy believed to be that of blanche st. Leger, daughter of william bourchier, lord fitzwarren who died in 1483. Above this is a monument to anne lady chichester (1723). Short unbuttressed 13th century tower. Chancel arch also probably 13th century. Low three-bay arcade separates perpendicular south aisle from nave. Transept on north side of church. Wagon-roofs, open, in chancel, aisle and transept. Church fittings include norman font, stained glass and monuments (pevsner).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV325807.

Church of st. Peter, largely 13th century fabric to nave, chancel and bottom stage of tower. Mostly 15th century south aisle and north transept, and top stages of tower. Embattled parapet to tower, south aisle and porch with inscription dated 1704. The entire church was heavily restored in the 1880s in perpendicular style (doe).


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1107134 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Parish Church, largely C13 fabric to nave, chancel and bottom stage of tower. Mostly C15 south aisle and north transept, and top stages of tower. Embattled parapet to tower, south aisle and porch when 'This church was beautified in ye year of Our Lord 1704' according to an inscription over south porch. The entire church heavily restored 1880s in Perpendicular style by William White including most of the fenestration and a vestry. Coursed shale rubble with freestone dressings, windows of Hamhill stone and slate roof. The tower, capped by 4 pinnacles with crosses added in C19, is situated at east end of south aisle with tower arches of low pointed unmoulded arches into nave and south aisle. It has four 2-light bell- openings with trefoiled cusping and flat hood-moulds. C13 Lancet window to east. Large slate sundial dated 1756 and damaged armorial shield over C15 south porch with transverse hollow chamfered beam supporting porch roof. C13 doorway with pyramid stops surrounds an old door complete with lock. C13 west doorway has chamfered 2-centred arch over early door and late C19 porch with some reused roof timbers and to 1 side, a reused moulded and crenellated wall-plate. The vestry has a corbelled stone smoke vent. Interior: 3 bay south nave arcade has B-type (Pevsner) piers, vine leaf decoration in capital of pier at west end, fern leaf in other 3. The 2 end capitals have moulded heads, the central ones blank shields in foliage. Late C19 unceiled waggon roof to nave, south aisle and chancel, although the 2 latter'may incorporate some earlier timber and have moulded ribs with carved bosses and moulded ribs, carved leaves in the angles of the intersections of the ribs, and carved fleurons in the wall-plate. C19 north transept arch supported on west side by a massive C15 timber pier with 4 shafts of rough wave moulding between and fleurons in the capitals. West of it a small projection in the angle of the transept and nave possibly created a hagioscope to the north transept chapel. Simple unmoulded pointed chancel arch. Badly mutilated piscina with cusped, arch shelf and carved head in scalloped drain. Unrestored but slightly damaged recumbent effigy of an unknown lady in C15 dress in a low recess in the north chancel wall with quatrefoil decoration in base. Above and towards east end a wall monument erected by Christopher Boyce (died 1744) - central medallion below emblazoned shield with floriate surround, cherubs and linen folds. Painted decoration. Above effigy a white-framed marble monument with grey background to Lady Anne Chichester (died 1723). 3 wall monuments on north wall of nave, George Lugg (died 1650) - a plaque within ionic collonettes and broken scrolled pediment above, painted unrestored medallion below; Frances Lugg (died 1712), marble bust over Corinthian surround; Grace Lancey (died 1683), pink marble with medallion and skulls above. In south aisle to west of porch a wall monument to Anne wife of George Newbold (died 1860), and George Newbold (died 1821) signed J Hughes, Barnstaple. C12 Font with square bowl on round stem and supporting pillars with four flat blank arches to each side of the top. East window by Kempe 1898 and other fenestration by W White of uncoloured glass in rectangular and diamond pattern.
Date first listed: 25th February 1965.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV177625Migrated Record:
SDV325807Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1107134.
SDV84988Migrated Record:
SDV84989Migrated Record:
SDV84990Migrated Record:
SDV84991Migrated Record:
SDV9723Migrated Record: KEEN.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 8 2017 2:48PM