HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV9291
Name:Ashton, George Teign Barton, Farmhouse

Summary

George Teign Barton thatched farmhouse with 16th century origins remodelled in late 18th or early 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 851 835
Map Sheet:SX88SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAshton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SE/17
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Horsman, R., 06/05/1999, George Teign Barton Barn (Worksheet). SDV325301.

Department of Environment, 1952, St Thomas RD, 8 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV129122.

An old manor house. Two storey 'L' shaped. Thatched roof. Most of the old features have gone from the inside. Originally listed as a Grade III building.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953, SX88SE 15 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV284338.

George Teign Barton. In 1822, the Manor of George Teign Barton was part of Sir H Oxenden's estate. House is of cob and stone. Modern windows and doorways. In appearance it is similar to many renovated 17th century farmhouses in the district. Other details: Plan & photograph.

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 323 (Monograph). SDV17562.

A large rambling farmstead of 16th and 17th century date, so called from the medieval chapel of St George which formerly stood there.

Department of Environment, 1988, Ashton, 4 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV284341.

George Teign Barton farmhouse. Probably 16C origins, thoroughly remodelled circa late 18C/early 19C. Whitewashed rendered stone rubble; thatched roof, gabled at left end, hipped at end of wing, rear outshut slated; left end stack, axial stack, projecting end stack with set-offs and bread oven to outshut. Plan: L-plan, the main range of 2 builds but probably a 3 room and through passage arrangement in origin, the lower end passage rebuilt at the left. The odd position and substantial scale of the stack heating the outshut suggests that it may have been part of a 17C rear kitchen wing subsequently remodelled as an outshut. The long front wing at right angles to the inner room, functioned as service accommodation and a cider house at the end, formerly with apple loft over. The rebuilding of the lower end and passage may date from the late 18C/early 19C when the main block was re-roofed; later 19C roof to most of wing. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4 window front with a change in roofline and front plane to the right of the front door which leads into a truncated passage to left of centre; thatched porch on posts.1 ground floor and 2 first floor early 19C 16-pane timber sashes to left; 20C timber casement windows with glazing bars to right of porch. The wing has timber casement windows to the left, a door to right of centre and further door at extreme right into the outbuilding; 2 ground floor windows between doors, 1 loft opening. Interior: the middle room of the main block has an open fireplace with a dressed-off timber lintel, granite jambs (1 jamb a chamfered monolith), and a bread oven. The cross beam and exposed joists are replacements. Granite steps and some pitched stone flooring between the middle room and the passage; late 18C or 19C stair with turned newels and stick balusters adjacent to stack. The rear of the stack, visible in the passage is good granite ashlar, a feature often associated with inserted stacks inthe region. The outshut has an open fireplace with an 18C or 19C timber lintel and bread oven, the stack is probably 17C. The wing has a probably 18C plain timber stair and the remains of wall and ceiling plaster in what is now a store room indicates former domestic use. Roof: most of the wing is roofed with 19C scissor-braced trusses but end adjoining the main block and the main block roof has a probably slightly earlier collar rafter roof truss design. A large handsome thatched house which forms a group with the barn.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV129122List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1952. St Thomas RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 8.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 323.
SDV284338Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953. SX88SE 15. SX88SE.
SDV284341List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Ashton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 4.
SDV325301Worksheet: Horsman, R.. 06/05/1999. George Teign Barton Barn. Devon County Sites and Monuments Register. Worksheet + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV19784Related to: Barn, George Teign Barton, Ashton (Building)
MDV19785Related to: Chapel, George Teign Barton, Ashton (Monument)
MDV40387Related to: George Teign Barton, Settlement (Monument)
MDV125348Related to: Trackway at George Teign Barton, Ashton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV3602 - SX88SE 15

Date Last Edited:Oct 7 2020 4:58PM