HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV93041
Name:Tavistock Inn, Poundsgate

Summary

Long building of rendered and white granite rubble under a slate roof with an outshot to the rear which also has a slate roof. The core of the building is thought to date to the 15th century. According to local legend the devil visited the inn on his way to Widecombe in 1638.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 704 721
Map Sheet:SX77SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWidecombe in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWIDECOMBE IN THE MOOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (Constructed, XV to XVIII - 1401 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Tavistock Inn and garden depicted on the Tithe Map, field No. 2071.


Sheldon, L., 1937, Devon Inns, 382 (Article in Serial). SDV10197.

The Tavistock Inn, Poundsgate. Reroofed and repaired. Unevenness of walls betray its age. Fireplace filled in, one upright granite slab only remains. The oak beams which supported the ceiling have been taken down. A door from the front room behind the settle opens on to a semi-circular staircase, each step being a solid block of stone. A niche in the wall halfway up may be for a candlestick or lantern. A door behind the counter opens into a low passage, running the length of the house with an ancient window at one end. May have originally been the byre. Has old pewter measures of one gill and half gill, and some old metal stamps.


Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H., 1979, An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish, Vol III, 628 (Report - Survey). SDV337078.

(15/5/1979) Original stone staircase according to present owner and possible ladies loft screen but not the original. The fireplace has bread oven, channel stone, oak mantel, flagstones.
A deed dated 8/4/1868 recrods that 120 pounds sterling was paid by S. Tozer to J. Wreford as past payment of agreement for sale by indenture.


Department of Environment, 1986, Widecombe in the Moor, 147 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV289221.

Tavistock Inn. Public house, 17th century with additions at rear. Solid roughcast walls, probably of stone. Slated roofs, that of outbuilding to right slightly lower. Chimneystacks on ridge and gable. Further room to right probably former outbuilding. Two storeys. Three window front. It has 19th century casements with glazing bars. Fireplace to left of former middle room; granite jambs, chamfered and stopped wood lintel, oven with 4-centred granite arch. Next to it, in rear wall a winding stone staircase.


Pidgeon, J. R., 1991, The Tavistock Inn, Poundsgate (Report - Survey). SDV351686.

Long, two-storey building of rendered and white-washed granite rubble under a slate roof with an outshot to the rear which also has a slate roof. Analysis of the building suggested five main constructional phases presenting a picture of the development of a small medieval open hall house, possibly dating to the 15th century to a 20th century public house, including the insertion of a fireplace, bread oven and staircase, and an extention to the southern end of the building in the 16th-17th century, the addition of an outshot in the 18th century and an extension to the north in the 19th century.
According to local legend the devil stopped at the Tavistock Inn on his way to Widecombe in 1638. Pidgeon suggests that the 16th-17th century improvements and additions took place at this time.


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 116-118 (Monograph). SDV359976.

Tavistock Inn was probably built in the 14th century, originally a farmhouse before becoming an inn. It started out as a single roomed building, with an outside staircase (15th century) that lead to a large, one-roomed bedroom for travellers. There is a small alcove at the top of this staircase which may have housed a window. About 100 years after the staircase was added, the building was extended at the ends and back. Handsome fireplace in the bar where a large bread oven was discovered. Building records in Exeter state that there were two ovens but the other has so far not been found.
Originally the inn was part of the Spitchwick Estate. A hundred year lease had been created by Lord Ashburton (freeholder at the time) and when this expired there was no direct line of descent and when the inn was put up for sale it took a Court at Chancery 20 years to determine who was the legal claimant. When the legal title was finally resolved, the inn was sold in 1860 for £114.
Ceiling was completely replaced in 1939 after complaints about the dust that fell from the worm-eaten beams. The old beams were offered to the landlady as firewood but they were still so hard it was impossible to cut them.
A well known story states the devil called at the inn on 21st October 1638 on his way to Widecombe (the day of a terrible thunderstorm when lightning struck the church tower and four people were killed). He is said to have drunk a pink of ale that sizzled as he swallowed and paid with coins that turned into dry leaves after he left. A scorch mark on the old bar is said to have been where he placed his tankard.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Tavistock Inn. Public house. C17 with additions at rear. Solid roughcast walls, probably of stone. Slated roofs, that of outbuilding to right slightly lower. Rendered chimneystacks on ridge and on left-hand gable; stone stack in rear wall at right- hand end. 3-room plan, the 2 right-hand rooms now combined into one; further room to right, probably a former outbuilding. 2 storeys. 3-window front, with large windows in former outbuilding to right. Main building has C19 casements with glazing bars; upper storey windows smaller than those below. Doorway off-centre to right. Interior has fireplace to left of former middle room; granite jambs, chamfered and stopped wood lintel, oven with 4-centred granite arch. Next to it, in rear wall, a winding stone staircase. Remainder not inspected.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV10197Article in Serial: Sheldon, L.. 1937. Devon Inns. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback. 382.
SDV289221List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Widecombe in the Moor. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 147.
SDV337078Report - Survey: Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H.. 1979. An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. Vols I - V. A4 Comb Bound. Vol III, 628.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109630 ]
SDV351686Report - Survey: Pidgeon, J. R.. 1991. The Tavistock Inn, Poundsgate. A4 Stapled.
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 116-118.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6197 - Survey of the Tavistock Inn, Poundsgate

Date Last Edited:Mar 22 2018 10:09AM