HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV9345
Name:Cross at Canonteign Barton, Christow

Summary

Cross shaft in garden east of Canonteign Barton. Free-standing medieval granite cross. Unusually complete with a chamfered, stopped tapering shaft and chamfered head. Original location unclear.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 838 831
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChristow
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishCHRISTOW

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SW/11/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85588

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Masson Phillips, E. N., 1938, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part II, 327 (Article in Serial). SDV6308.

There is a cross in the garden of Canonteign Barton, near the road from Christow to Crocombe Bridge. Type B.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953 - 1981, SX88SW13 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV311462.

A socket-stone, square at the base with corner shoulders and octagonal above with a chamfered top edge, bears an ancient cross, the shaft of which is square at the base with weathered stops and octagonal higher up. It tapers slightly upwards. Originally Christow churchyard cross, not the cross which formerly stood at Leigh Cross, near Bridford Bridge, as has been suggested. (1953)
The cross is as described above. (1981) Photocopied photograph from 1980 included.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Cross shaft in garden east of Canonteign Barton. Free-standing medieval granite cross. Unusually complete with a chamfered, stopped tapering shaft and chamfered head. The plinth, with chamfered stopped corners, appears to be original. There is some doubt about the original site of the cross: it has been suggested both that the cross formerly stood at Leigh Cross, near Bridford Bridge, and that it came from Christow Churchyard (source: Sites and Monuments Register). (1988) Other details: LB UID: 85588.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV311462Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953 - 1981. SX88SW13. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #109672 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV6308Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1938. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 70. A5 Hardback. 327.

Associated Monuments

MDV9344Related to: Canonteign Barton, Christow (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 19 2016 2:15PM