HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV93674
Name:Okehampton Union Workhouse


Okehampton workhouse, built 1836-7. Became a geriatric hospital after World War II, closed in 2004, and was demolished in 2008.


Grid Reference:SX 586 945
Map Sheet:SX59SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishOkehampton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishOKEHAMPTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WORKHOUSE (XIX - 1836 AD to 1837 AD)
  • GERIATRIC HOSPITAL (XX - 1948 AD to 1948 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Okehampton Union Workhouse' shown.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Ordnance Survey, 1930 - 1939, Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV336668.

'Public Assistance Institution (Devon County Council)' shown.

Ordnance Survey, 1953 - 1969, Ordnance Survey Six Inch Map (Cartographic). SDV340358.

'Castle Hospital' shown.

Peter Higginbotham, 2012, The Workhouse (Website). SDV349628.

Okehampton Poor Law Union was officially formed on 20th April 1836, and the new Okehampton workhouse was built in 1836-7 at a site on the east side of Castle Road. It was designed by Sampson Kempthorne who was also the architect for other Devon workhouses. The entrance and administrative block faced to the north-west. This would have contained Guardians' board room, porter's room, and offices for the Union's clerk and relieving officer. The main accommodation wings were of two storeys. Various single-storey utility rooms and workshops formed the perimeter of the building. After 1930, the former workhouse was taken over by Devon County Council and became a Public Assistance Institution. After 1948, it became the Castle Hospital, latterly providing geriatric care, until its closure in 2004. After an unsuccessful local effort to get the building listed, it was demolished in 2008. Modern housing now occupies the site.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336668Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1930 - 1939. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340358Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1953 - 1969. Ordnance Survey Six Inch Map. National Grid A edition imperial. Map (Digital).
SDV349628Website: Peter Higginbotham. 2012. The Workhouse. www.workhouses.org.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jul 5 2012 10:05AM