HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV93736
Name:The Stables, Flete, Ermington

Summary

Stable range built in 1878, designed by R. Norman Shaw. Of stone rubble with granite dressings under a slate roof. Built around three sides of a small courtyard with a slate hung clock tower on the east wing and a grooms house within the larger west wing. Now converted.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 626 514
Map Sheet:SX65SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHolbeton
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHOLBETON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STABLE (Built, XIX - 1878 AD to 1878 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Large range of buildings shown to north-west of Flete House.


Jeffcoat, C., 2005 - 2006, The Stable Block, Flete House, Ermington (Report - Survey). SDV348161.


Jeffcoat, C., 2005 - 2006, The Stable Block, Flete House, Ermington (Report - Survey). SDV348161.

Photographic survey of stable block undertaken prior to conversion.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Stable range including archway and walls west immediately north-west of Flete. Stable range with walls and archway to stable yard. 1878 by R. Norman Shaw. Stone rubble with granite dressings. Slate hipped roof. One storey and attic. On sloping site and two-storeyed at rear (north). Built around three sides of a small courtyard to the south. The east wing has a slate hung clock tower with hipped roof and finial. Hipped louvred dormers have finials. The larger west wing contains the groom's house. The central section has a chamfered segmentally arched carriageway at the centre with two coach house doorways either side with flat granite arches and small leaded-pane windows above, beneath the eaves. Including large moulded four-centred arch carriageway west of stables set into stone rubble stable yard wall which has moulded granite coping to battlements. Shield and roll moulded string course above and loops either side of the arch. Lower flanking walls also crenellated. The details of the stable yard walls and carriageway are possibly late C19 either reused material from the 1835 period of Flete or the wall itself may be contemporary with the 1835 remodelling.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348161Report - Survey: Jeffcoat, C.. 2005 - 2006. The Stable Block, Flete House, Ermington. Daniel Lelliott Krauze Chartered Architects Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109694 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5569 - Photographic Survey of the Stable Block, Flete House, Ermington

Date Last Edited:Jul 24 2013 9:28AM