HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV93960
Name:Linhay to northwest of Chaffcombe Farmhouse, Down St Mary


Open fronted linhay alongside the lane, the original approach to Chaffcombe Manor.


Grid Reference:SS 758 030
Map Sheet:SS70SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDown St. Mary
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishDOWN ST.MARY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (Altered, XVIII to XIX - 1751 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building depicted in this location.

Historic England, 2020, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV363414.

Linhay. C19. Cob on rubble footings; slate roof. Open-fronted linhay facing north and terraced into hillslope with ground floor cartshed and tallet above. 4- bay linhay (Alcock's Type T1) with loft crossbeams tusk-tenoned into full height posts. The tallet front is unusually high and fronted with a series of braced slender upright slats. Roof is gable-ended. Tallet entry in right end wall directly from the field. Included for group value on the approach to Chaffcombe Farmhouse

Cox, J. + Thorp, J. R. L., 2020, The Wagon Linhay at Chaffcombe Manor, Down St Mary, Devon (Report - Survey). SDV363885.

Linhay alongside lane, separate to the main farmstead. The lane was originally the main approach to the manor. Depicted on the 1845 Tithe Map and shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map with a small extension at the west end, which is no longer extant.
It comprises an open fronted four bay building, the east end of which is terraced into the hillslope with a doorway direct onto the loft or tallet floor. The walls are of cob on rubblestone footings. The north pitch of the roof is covered with the original Welsh slates with clay ridgetiles but the south pitch is now covered with corrugated metal sheeting. The open, north side, has three full height, wany oak posts standing on padstones. The crossbeams supporting the tallet floor morticed and tenoned into the front posts and held in place with an exterior peg, known as a tusk. The other ends of the cross beams are set into the masonry in the south wall. The roof is carried on three rustic king post trusses.
The upper floor is now enclosed at the front with a timber stave grille.
Although it is two storey, the building is not thought to have been used for cattle but to have been a wagon linhay.
The linhay is considered to be an interesting vernacular farm building, relatively late in date, but of historic interest not only for its intended function, but also for its carpentry and pragmatic use of locally available timber.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV363414National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2020. National Heritage List for England. Digital.
SDV363885Report - Survey: Cox, J. + Thorp, J. R. L.. 2020. The Wagon Linhay at Chaffcombe Manor, Down St Mary, Devon. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants. K817/2. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV8584 - Building recording of a wagon linhay at Chaffcombe Manor, Down St Mary

Date Last Edited:Feb 10 2021 1:06PM