HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV94247
Name:Cowhouse east of Gooseford farmhouse, South Tawton

Summary

Cowhouse, former farmhouse. Dated 1641 and all features are consistent with this date, partly rebuilt when converted from a farmhouse to a cowhouse circa 1900. Granite stone rubble with large roughly-dressed quoins and sections of large coursed blocks of granite ashlar. Disused granite stack; corrugated iron roof, formerly thatch.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 675 917
Map Sheet:SX69SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Tawton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH TAWTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVII - 1641 AD to 1641 AD (Between))
  • COW HOUSE (XIX to XX - 1895 AD to 1905 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England, 1106053 (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

4/147 Cowhouse approximately 3 metres east of Goose ford Farmhouse, GV II
Cowhouse, former farmhouse. Dated 1641 and all features are consistent with this date, partly rebuilt when converted from a farmhouse to a cowhouse circa 1900. Granite stone rubble with large roughly-dressed quoins and sections of large coursed blocks of granite ashlar. Disused granite stack; corrugated iron roof, formerly thatch. Plan: 3-room plan house built across the hillslope facing south. The internal arrangement has been much-altered and a much longer study of the fabric than was possibe for this survey is needed to discover the layout in detail. The right end room has an end stack. It is thought that an axial stack served the other rooms but no evidence of it remains. 2 storeys. Exterior: irregular 3-window front, the windows are blocked. Ground floor right window has been enlarged to a doorway. A plaque inscribed Anno Do 1641 flanked by labels inscribed OL has been reset high in the wall right of centre. Roof is hipped both ends. The rear elevation has been similarly rearranged. Central doorway here has been rebuilt. Above it is the only original window left, an oak 3-light window with ovolo-moulded mullions. A second door to right contains an oak C17 doorframe with ovolo-moulded surround has been reset facing inwards. Interior: has plain chamfered crossbeams. The fireplace has a similarly-finished oak lintel. 7-bay roof of A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars. Lega-Weekes who saw the house in 1896 before its conversion describes "a gabled porch with a pointed entrance-arch of moulded granite, retaining a very heavy oak door, studded with monster nails, above which was a table dated 1641 and a mullioned window, on whose dripstone-corbels appeared the letters CL". Source: E Lega-Weekes, Neighbours of North Wyke, Park I Trans. Devon. Assoc. 33 (1901), pp 447 - 448.
Listing NGR: SX6756891722

Sources / Further Reading

SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109728 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website. 1106053.

Associated Monuments

MDV14437Part of: Lower Gooseford Farm, South Tawton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 3 2014 3:20PM