HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV9435
Name:Little Woodhay


Site of 'Little Woodhay' farmstead shown on 19c map as two groups of buildings on either side of the track


Grid Reference:SX 830 955
Map Sheet:SX89NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishWhitestone
Ecclesiastical ParishST.THOMAS

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX89NW/11

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval to XXI - 1540 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880s, Ordnance Survey (Cartographic). SDV848.

Site of 'Little Woodhay' farmstead shown on OS 25" (1880s) map as two groups of buildings on either side of the track. The western group consists of several adjoining buildings with a round structure to the west. The eastern group consists of several buildings around an irregular shaped yard with an orchard to the east.

Ordnance Survey, 1906, Untitled Source (Cartographic). SDV336662.

Site of 'Little Woodhay' shown on OS 25" (1906) map as two buildings at right angles on the west side of the track with a well marked to the north. The outline of several buildings are shown to the east of the track.

Braddick, L. E., 1962, Whitestone and Oldridge, 351 (Article in Serial). SDV294377.

Lower Woodhay, Oldridge. Mentioned in the tithe return of 1838. Now there are only the remains of a cider house and a little cob walling left.

Pamment, J., 1986, Untitled Source, 192 (Report - Survey). SDV285310.

Just to the east of Frankford Cottage stood the complex of cob buiildings known as Lower Woodhay Farm, these are all in ruins. A detached cider pound house associated with this farm was the only building on this farm standing in the 1970s; the original thatch has been replaced by a corrugated iron roof. Now the corrugated roof has failed to protect the end walls leading to a collapse. Other details: Visited in 1985.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV285310Report - Survey: Pamment, J.. 1986. Parish Survey of Whitestone and Oldridge (St Thomas). A4 Stapled. 192.
SDV294377Article in Serial: Braddick, L. E.. 1962. Whitestone and Oldridge. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 94. A5 Hardback. 351.
SDV336662Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map. Map (Paper).
SDV848Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey. 25".

Associated Monuments

MDV71768Related to: Little Woodhay Barn (Monument)
MDV71767Related to: Little Woodhay Cottage (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV2686 - Unnamed Event

Date Last Edited:Nov 15 2005 9:59AM