HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV946
Name:Marwood, St Michael's

Summary

Church of St. Michael, 13th century fabric with two lancets to north side (recent) and pointed south doorway. Original cruciform plan. Some 19th century alterations and reroofing. Slate stages of tower principally 15th century. Many various features

Location

Grid Reference:SS 544 375
Map Sheet:SS53NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMarwood
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMARWOOD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5227
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53NW/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 98202

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Anonymous, Untitled Source (Monograph). SDV76927.

Most of the church is 15th century, but parts date from the 13th century. It was originally cruciform but the north transept was enlarged into an aisle in the 15th century. The chancel, 13th century, remodelled in the 14th century, but east window tracery is 19th century. The south door by its moulding and small corbels must be 14th century. A 13th century piscina in the south wall of the sanctuary. A peal of six bells was originally installed in the 16th century. Re-hung and mounted on hall bearings in 1974. The bench ends are 15th century. Being of devon/cornwall type. The south transept is 13th century, there is a single lancet on the east side and an unmoulded pointed arch to the nave. The north aisle is late perpendicular. There is a barrel roof. It is said to have been rebuilt in 1763 and the royal arms of george iii are displayed in plaster (anon).


ANON. IN TDA 1938, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84087.

Brief mention of a visit to the church (anon. In tda 1938).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84090.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84091.

Pevsner, n. /the buildings of england: south devon/(1952)121-122.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84092.

Anon. /tda/70(1938)14/proceedings at the 77th annual meeting held at barnstaple.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84093.

Doe/hhr:marwood/(16/11/1984)14-15.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84094.

Stabb, j. /some old devon churches/(1908).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84095.

Anon/church guide to st. Michael and all angels,marwood/(nd)/copy in parish file of smr.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177625.

The s transept and the chancel are 13th century date though the latter was remodelled in the 14th century. S door also of this date, though n aisle is late perpendicular (pevsner).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV325814.

Church of st. Michael, 13th century fabric with two lancets to north side (recent) and pointed south doorway. Original cruciform plan. Some 19th century alterations and reroofing. Slate stages of tower principally 15th century. Many various features (doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

Parish church of st. Michael's. A mainly fourteenth century cruciform church, n transcept enlarged into an aisle in late fifteenth century, plastered and whitewashed throughout. Fine rood screen to the n aisle with good renaisance detail, c.1520, retains the carved e back of the rood loft but the remainder of the work destroyed 1852. Carved bench ends in the nave. Seventeenth century pulpit. Royal arms of george iii in plaster. Several monuments. Carved ribs and bosses to n aisle roof. Sundial by john berry on the s porch (hoskins).


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1107157 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Parish Church, C13 fabric to chancel with two lancets to north side (recent) and pointed south doorway. South transept with single lancet in east wall and unmoulded pointed arch into nave. Battered plinth in north aisle indicates former north transept and original cruciform plan. Nave, rest of north aisle and upper stages of tower principally C15. Late C19 refenestration and reroofing. Slate roof of late C19 slates with ridge resting on nave chancel. West tower of 3 stages with pentagonal stairturret on north side with 6 small square openings. Embattled parapet set-back buttresses to first stage only with elongated gravestone apparently designed to be fixed onto eastern buttress of south wall. Small square- headed opening on south and east side of second stage and four 2-light cusped bell- openings with quatrefoil tracery in the heads, pierced in east and south wall but blocked to north and west. All have pointed labels with returned ends. Slate louvres below tracery. Mostly recut Perpendicular window at west end and C15 west door with Pevsner 'B-type' moulding and flat-pointed arch. Embattled south porch with flat-pointed arch supported on Pevsner 'A-type' moulded piers. Small unceiled waggon roof of porch with some re-used timber. C14 south doorway with small foliated corbels. International timed sundial dated 1762 by one John Berry. Two square-headed perpendicular style windows of 3-lights with carved leaves in the spandrels to each side of porch. North arcade of 5 bays with 'B-type' piers. Capitals from western respond have 'Green man' foliage and berries then 3 fluerons between plain shields then two piers with interlaced fern and leaf decoration then one with continuous fern pattern and interlaced leaves in eastern respond. Unceiled waggon roofs to chancel, nave, north aisle and south transept. Some inserted timber to nave and chancel roof, but substantially intact. North aisle more complete with carved bosses in the intersections of the ribs. North aisle has 6 bays of straightheaded Perpendicular windows of 3 lights each with slightly curved arches. North door between second and third window from west end with hollow chamfered flat pointed arch with small round-headed niche above. C14 3- light window reset probably in C17, at east end of north aisle has pointed-arch heads under gentle ogee arches. South transept has raised plain wooden pointed arch door opening to blocked rood loft. Section of very fine early C16 rood screen spanning north aisle only. Pevsner 'A type' tracery and complete ribbed coving of 3 bays, now missing its gallery front but its gallery back remains. Richly carved panels recording the name of 'Sir John Beaupul', Parson of Marwood holding office in 1520. Renaissance influence in carving. Similar to work by the carver of Atherington screen. Large plasterwork Royal Arms at west end of north aisle 1763 datestone on its outside wall may indicate date of its erection. Early rectangular font bowl lies at west end of next to replacement front with cover carved by John Robinson. Some medieval floor tiles remain principally rear of new C17 pulpit. 13 C16 pews in nave 2.5 metres wide, with ornamental carved bench ends and moulded backs. 3 choir stalls on north side with misercords. Monuments. East wall of north aisle. Marble wall tablet with loric colonettes flanking inscription to Anne Chichester of Westcote (died 1664). On north wall of north aisle a monument by J Berry with urn and pedestal over Doric columns and frieze with inscription to an owner of Ley (died 1765). Medallion below has palmettes with hour-glass above north aisle north wall has marble wall monument to William Parminter (died in Panama - 1737). Inquisitor General for the South Sea Company and other members of his family. Inscription "This monument having lost its hold on the wall where it had been fixed-fell on the floor and was much mutilated. A grateful recollection of a respectable Ancestry imposed the necessity of its re-erection on a Surviving Descendant C1821'. Corinthian pillars surmounted by seated figures to each side of armorial shield and urn. Marble wall tablet on south wall of nave dated 1633. Ionic colonnettes to each side of tablet with hour glass in pendant. At west end on south wall nave a wall monument to William and Anthony Beard died 1652 aged 16 and 19. Two busts in high relief leaning on table with skull and hour glass. Shields above with plaque below and painted medallions with biblical inscriptions in surround to each side. Some Old Devon Churches by John Stabb 1908. Bells and bell frame not inspected; said to contain 6 bells cast in 1771.
Date first listed: 25th February 1965.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV177625Migrated Record:
SDV325814Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1107157.
SDV76927Monograph: Anonymous.
SDV84087Migrated Record: ANON. IN TDA 1938.
SDV84090Migrated Record:
SDV84091Migrated Record:
SDV84092Migrated Record:
SDV84093Migrated Record:
SDV84094Migrated Record:
SDV84095Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 8 2017 12:01PM