HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV9472
Name:Church of St. James the Apostle, Christow

Summary

Church of St. James the Apostle. 12th century font, medieval fabric 15th century, restoration of 1862 by Edward Ashworth included rebuilding the chancel, the porch, adding the vestry, reseating, repairing and repainting the screen. Granite ashlar tower, the remainder of the church rubble and snecked stone; slate roofs. Largely perpendicular.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 836 850
Map Sheet:SX88NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChristow
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishCHRISTOW

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 615163
  • National Monuments Record: SX88NW37
  • National Record of the Historic Environment: 899577
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88NW/5
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 85606

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XV to XIX - 1401 AD to 1862 AD (Between))
  • WAR MEMORIAL (World War I to World War II - 1914 AD to 1945 AD (Between))

Full description

Bligh Bond, F., 1903, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II, 450 (Article in Serial). SDV6113.

Perpendicular rood screen. Southern part removed and fitted to the tower arch. Groining missing. Scroll moulding on main mullions and around arcades.

Reichel, O. J., 1912 - 1913, Churches in the Deanery of Kenn, 125 (Article in Serial). SDV338902.

Cresswell, B. F., 1912 - 1913, Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, 75-80 (Article in Serial). SDV303683.

Included in a survey of the churches of the deanery of Kenn.

Were, F., 1914 - 1915, Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, 223 (Article in Serial). SDV303684.

The Davie monuments referred to.

Clarke, K. M., 1920, The Baptismal Fonts of Devon, Part 7, 329-330 (Article in Serial). SDV320749.

The font is a scalloped pedestal bowl, the cones plainly visible on the bottom third of the bowl. The font has been cut back above the cones so that they project beyond the body of the font.

Fryer Cornelius, C., 1946, Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot, 123-152 (Article in Serial). SDV312246.

Fryer Cornelius, C., 1947, Fittings, Furnishings and Finishings of the Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot, 81-89 (Article in Serial). SDV312247.

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 366 (Monograph). SDV17562.

St Christina Parish Church. 15th century granite building, except the chancel which was rebuilt in 1862. West tower is one of the finest in devon. Carved 16th century bench-ends.

Ordnance Survey, 1963-1996, 1963-1996 National Grid OS Metric, (1976) (Cartographic). SDV350058.

(SX83618504) St James's Church [NAT].

Department of Environment, 1988, Christow, 67-68 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV308409.

Church of St. James the Apostle. 12th century font, medieval fabric 15th century, restoration of 1862 by Edward Ashworth included rebuilding the chancel, the porch, adding the vestry, reseating, repairing and repainting the screen. Granite ashlar tower, the remainder of the church rubble and snecked stone; slate roofs. Largely perpendicular. Plan: of nave, chancel, 4 bay north and south aisles, south porch, west tower north east vestry.
12th century font with a square scalloped bowl on a replaced cylindrical stem and plinth.
Five bay rood screen, (Pevsner 'A' type), the coving missing, re-painted in the 19th century. Three bay of the screen, formerly across the south aisle, have been re-sited as the tower screen. See List for full details.

Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 261 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Church of St James the Apostle. C12th font, Medieval fabric (C15th), in the nave, 4-bay North and South aisles and West tower. The chancel and South porch were rebuilt in 1862 by Edward Ashworth, who added a North-East vestry. Largely Perpendicular. Grade I.

Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Church depicted on the modern mapping.

English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

CHRISTOW CHRISTOW SX 88 NW 2/88 Church of Saint James the Apostle 30.6.1961 GV I
Parish church. C12 font, medieval fabric C15, restoration of 1862 by Edward Ashworth included rebuilding the chancel, the porch, adding the vestry, reseating and repairing and repainting the screen. Granite ashlar tower, the remainder of the church rubble and snecked stone ; slate roofs. Largely Perpendicular.
Plan: of nave, chancel, 4-bay north and south aisles, south porch, west tower north- east vestry. C19 chancel with granite ashlar quoins set back buttresses, 3-light C19 Perpendicular east window with carved label stops, 1 buttress on the south side which has a C19 moulded priest's door and a 1-light cusped window with carved label stops; similar north window to chancel ; north-east vestry with 2-light cusped square headed window on the east side and a moulded doorway on the north side. North aisle with set back buttresses and buttresses with set-offs between the 4 C19 Perpendicular 3-light windows retaining medieval mullions and jambs ; similar east window ; 2-light square-headed cusped west window. South aisle with set back buttresses 2 windows east of porch, one to west, Perpendicular, 3-light with C19 tracery ; smaller west window ; tall 3-light C19 Perpendicular east window. Tall slim battlemented granite ashlar west tower of 3 stages with battlementing and obelisk pinnacles, set back buttresses and string courses. Shallow-moulded granite west doorway dated 1680 (presumably a restoration date) on the arch ; 3-light Perpendicular granite traceried west window ; 2-light chamfered belfry openings on all 4 faces ; rectangular openings at bellringers' stage on east and west faces. Porch with set back buttresses and a shallow moulded granite outer doorway with NB carved on one jamb, C19 hoodmould and carved label stops, good ledger stone used as paving slab outside porch, commemorating Nicholas and Walter Busell, died 1631 and 1632 ; C19 arched brace roof to porch with crude chamfered rounded inner doorway and probably C17 door.
Interior: Plastered walls ; C19 timber chancel arch on brattished corbels ; 4-bay granite arcades of conventional Perpendicular design; double chamfered tower arch, the inner order on stone corbels. Ceiled wagon roofs with carved bosses to nave, similar C19 roof to chancel, ceiled wagons without bosses to north and south aisles. 5-bay rood screen, (Pevsner 'A'type), the coving missing, re-painted in the C19. 3- bay of the screen, formerly across the south aisle, have been re-sited as the tower screen. 1860s stone reredos of 5 gabled bays with texts and paintings on tin in the centre 3 bays, co-eval floor tiling and C19 poppyhead choirstalls with traceried fronts. The nave has a late C19 timber drum pulpit with carved panels incorporating C16 blind tracery ; C12 font with a square scalloped bowl on a replaced cylindrical stem and plinth. C16 square-headed bench ends with 2 tiers of blank tracery, one carved with a pomegranate, fixed to later seating in the aisles with low door added in the C19. Plain C19 benches in the nave except for 2 rows facing north and south with carved frontals. 1682 Royal Arms in plaster in high relief with the names of Tho Moore and Chr Moore, churchwardens, below. Memorials: Numerous C19 wall white marble wall monuments to the Exmouth family in the chancel, 2 of 1833 signed E. Gaffin, Regent Street, London : one to the Right Honourable Pownoll Bastard Pellew with a mourning woman ; the second commemorating the Right Honourable Edward Pellew with a sarcophagus, urn and laurels framed by half columns, naval trophies above and long verse below recording Pellew's rescue of 500 people from the wreck of the 'Dutton' ...." so, when this mighty orb, in dread alarm,/ shall crash in ruins, at its God's decree;/May thy redeemer, with triumphant arm,/ from the vast wreck of all things - rescue thee"/. The nave has a number of C19 wall monuments and 2 fine slate-cut ledger stones fixed to the west and north walls commemorating Edmund Davis, died 1652 and John Davys died 1682.
Stained Glass: Fragments of C15 canopy work and a figure in the easternmost window of the south aisle ; some C18 bottle glass in the head tracery of the north aisle ; Outstanding Clayton and Bell glass, memorial date 1862, in the east. window of the south aisle ; chancel east window probably by Drake of Exeter, memorial date of 1899 glass by Ward and Hughes in the window in the south aisle, first bay from the east, memorial date of 1913. Window in north aisle, opposite the door, with memorial date of 1867, probably by William Wailes. Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.

Muriel and Richard Brine, 2015-2019, Devon Heritage, War memorial pages (Website). SDV352499.

Plaque in the church reads: "To the Glory of God and in grateful memory of these men of Christow who gave their lives for their country in the Great War 1914-1919". List of 14 names and details of the men, regiments and family connections etc. are included.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 366.
SDV303683Article in Serial: Cresswell, B. F.. 1912 - 1913. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 7 Part 2. Unknown. 75-80.
SDV303684Article in Serial: Were, F.. 1914 - 1915. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 8 Part 1. Unknown. 223.
SDV308409List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Christow. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 67-68.
SDV312246Article in Serial: Fryer Cornelius, C.. 1946. Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 78. A5 Hardback. 123-152.
SDV312247Article in Serial: Fryer Cornelius, C.. 1947. Fittings, Furnishings and Finishings of the Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 79. A5 Hardback. 81-89.
SDV320749Article in Serial: Clarke, K. M.. 1920. The Baptismal Fonts of Devon, Part 7. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 52. A5 Hardback. 329-330.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 261.
SDV338902Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1912 - 1913. Churches in the Deanery of Kenn. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 7 Part 1. Unknown. 125.
SDV350058Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1963-1996. 1963-1996 National Grid OS Metric. Digital Mapping. Digital. (1976).
SDV352499Website: Muriel and Richard Brine. 2015-2019. Devon Heritage. http://www.devonheritage.org/WarMemorials.htm. Website. War memorial pages.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109767 ]
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV6113Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1903. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 35. Digital. 450.

Associated Monuments

MDV118256Related to: Site of almshouses in graveyard, Christow (Building)
MDV40362Related to: The Old Rectory, Christow (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 4 2021 2:00PM