HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV953
Name:Parish Church of St Peter's

Summary

Parish church of st. Peter at satterleigh. Consists of chancel, nave, s porch and bellcote on w gable. In august 1435 bishop lacy granted an indulgence of forty days for the reconstruction of the church, the existing structure being substantially of this date. Original door and doorway retained. N wall is windowless. Perpendicular font, octagonal with quatrefoil panels identical to font at warkleigh. 'jacobean' pulpit which may be 18th. Century. Richly carved ceilure over site of the rood. Screen gone, but the tympanum remains, inscribed with the creed and lord's prayer in late georgian times, the sides infilled with scrollwork. Altar rails may date from restoration of 1852. Three bells in their original frame in 1553. Not tuned in a ring but have now been fitted with the ellacombe chiming apparatus. From the bellcote some of the roof timbers are visible, apparently original. Base of the churchyard cross is just inside the churchyard gate (andrews).

Location

Grid Reference:SS 668 225
Map Sheet:SS62SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSatterleigh and Warkleigh
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSATTERLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 15895
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS62SE/8
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to XVIII - 1066 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

FLETCHER, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV10257.

Vis=estimated -/9/1995 (fletcher) during replacement of rotted sleeper beams under pews on s side of nave, the pews, floor + planks were lifted and the low stone foundation walls were revealed. Built on the earthen sub-floor these 0.23m high foundation walls are constructed of mortared small stone. Partially exposed under one of these walls is a large slab. A date of 1672 is incised near the e corner and the letters 'abor' lie transversely some way below it in latin script with serifs. A 20mm wide border around the edge of the visible part of the slab has traces of white colouring with an incised line marking the inner side. The slab, 30mm thick, is composed of a type of slate or similar material which is comparable to many of the 19c and earlier grave slabs in the churchyard. The flaking of the slab suggests that it was once exposed to the elements. Its present position is unlikely to mark a burial. It is almost certainly a gravestone brought inside for re-use as a wall foundation plate.


Council for the Care of Churches, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV161033.

Likely to be recommended for redundancy and vesting in the redundant churches fund, 1993 (council for the care of churches).


Gent, T. H., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV2218.

Archaeological excavation of drainage trenches in churchyard recovered pot sherds of 1200-1470. The early material may relate to the earliest use, if not construction of present church (gent).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV325815.

Parish church. Principally early c15, but may incorporate earlier fabric, interior remodelled in c18, chancel restored 1852. South side of nave and south porch painted and rendered, otherwise unrendered stone rubble, chancel walls roughly coursed with ashlar quoins and dressings. Weatherboarded bellcote. Small parish church comprising nave with bellcote at west end, south porch and chancel only. See doe list for full details (doe).


ANDREWS, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV69350.

Parish church of st. Peter at satterleigh. Consists of chancel, nave, s porch and bellcote on w gable. In august 1435 bishop lacy granted an indulgence of forty days for the reconstruction of the church, the existing structure being substantially of this date. Original door and doorway retained. N wall is windowless. Perpendicular font, octagonal with quatrefoil panels identical to font at warkleigh. 'jacobean' pulpit which may be 18th. Century. Richly carved ceilure over site of the rood. Screen gone, but the tympanum remains, inscribed with the creed and lord's prayer in late georgian times, the sides infilled with scrollwork. Altar rails may date from restoration of 1852. Three bells in their original frame in 1553. Not tuned in a ring but have now been fitted with the ellacombe chiming apparatus. From the bellcote some of the roof timbers are visible, apparently original. Base of the churchyard cross is just inside the churchyard gate (andrews).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV86176.

Andrews, j. H. B. /tda/92(1960)45-47 pl.13,14,18/the parish of satterleigh- and-warkleigh.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV86177.

Doe/hhr:satterleigh and warkleigh/(8/1/1988)134.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV86178.

Des=council for the care of churches/satterleigh, st. Peter/(24/6/1993)/in pf.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV86179.

Nmr=ss62se7.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV86180.

Des=fletcher, m. J. /(27/9/1995)/archaeological monitoring of the church floor at st. Peter's church, satterleigh, devon.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV86181.

Gent, t. H. /archaeological evaluation of drainage trenches at satterleigh church/(1996)/(ea report 96.23).


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1258740 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Parish church. Principally early C15, but may incorporate earlier fabric, interior remodelled in C18, chancel restored 1852. South side of nave and south porch painted and rendered, otherwise unrendered stone rubble, chancel walls roughly coursed with ashlar quoins and dressings. Weatherboarded bell-cote. Small parish church comprising nave with bellcote at west end, south porch and chancel only. C19 fenestration with straight-headed window of 3 trefoil headed lights to right of porch. Pointed arched windows of 2 trefoil headed lights to each side of chancel, and to east and west ends. South porch has virtually semi-circular arched doorway with hollow-moulded surround with C19 timber gate. Plain ceiled barrel roof. Fine C15 timber inner doorway, ogee-headed with shallow hollow and ogee moulded surround in straight-headed similarly moulded surround. Original ledged door of 2 wide planks with strap hinges, old lock and handle. External wall monuments to south side of nave to Robert Hatch d. 1699 to left of porch (recorded as being inside the Church in 1844) and to right of porch to Grace Webber d.1801 and John Webber d.1823 by Manning and to William Melhuish Esq. d.1770. Below east window, small stone with triangulated head to Thomas Collins d.1752. Interior. Plain ceiled waggon roofs to nave and chancel, that to nave with 3 moulded ribs with carved bosses to the ridge, and ornately carved ceilure of 12 panels with moulded ribs and diagonal struts with carved bosses at the intersections. Chancel. Nowy-headed commandment boards with moulded timber surrounds to each side of east window. C19 altar rails and small altar table. Patterned tiled floor. Nave. Principally C19 or early C20 nave seating with decorative carved bench ends, but some C16 carved bench ends survive towards west end on south side of nave. Tympanum over site of rood inscribed probably in early C19 with the Creed and Lords Prayer, the sides filled with scroll-work bearing verses. Hat-pegs survive at intervals on each side of nave and chancel. Probably early C18 pulpit with panelled faceted drum with wooden tester over with moulded cornice, and desk to north side incorporating turned candlestick. On north side of nave is a painted C18 cartouche with the opening 2 verses of Psalm 95. Painted Royal Arms of 1726 over south door. Perpendicular-style font, octagonal, with quatrefoil panels. Stained glass in east window to James Gould Esq and wife, both died 1857. Wall monument to chancel south side to Henry Byre Esq. d.1821 and wife, with heraldic crest in oval medallion to base. Satterleigh Church is remarkable for its diminutive scale, its bell-cote, and the richness of its interior fittings, including C15 ceilure, C16 bench ends, C18 pulpit, tester and tympanum and painted text and modest C19 restoration.
Date first listed: 20th February 1967.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV10257Migrated Record: FLETCHER.
SDV161033Migrated Record: Council for the Care of Churches.
SDV2218Migrated Record: Gent, T. H..
SDV325815Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1258740.
SDV69350Migrated Record: ANDREWS.
SDV86176Migrated Record:
SDV86177Migrated Record:
SDV86178Migrated Record:
SDV86179Migrated Record:
SDV86180Migrated Record:
SDV86181Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV951Related to: Cross south of Satterleigh Parish Church (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 15 2017 9:25AM