HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV95900
Name:South Street Auction Rooms

Summary

Mid 19th century school, later used as auction rooms.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 567 321
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBARNSTAPLE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 485804

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XIX - 1841 AD to 1895 AD (Between))
  • AUCTION HOUSE (XX - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, Towns 1855-95 1:500 (Cartographic). SDV348147.

"School (Boys & Girls)" marked.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

South Street Auction Rooms.
School, now auction rooms. Early/mid 19th century. Solid rendered front. Slated roof. 2 rooms wide, 1 room deep; room to left on each floor considerably the larger. 2 storeys. 5-window range with a large unwindowed space between the 2nd and 3rd windows from left. Roughly central in ground storey is a square entrance porch with horizontal channelling, the voussoirs marked out in the cement. Round-arched doorway with 3-panelled double doors. Top entablature with blocking course. Immediately in front of the right-hand jamb is a large shoescraper. At either side is a small added closet with rusticated quoins and top cornice; the top of a former window is visible behind the right-hand closet. At each end of the ground storey is a triple-sashed window: 12 over 8 panes in centre, 3 over 2 panes at sides. To right of the right-hand closet is a blocked doorway. Upper storey has 4 windows with 6-paned sashes, blind window second from right. At each end of the front a prominent rusticated pilaster strip. Plain eaves-board.
Interior: ground floor has plank dado. 6-panelled double-doors between the rooms. Right-hand room has mid 19th century chimneypiece in rear wall; painted slate with bracketed shelf; cast-iron grate with original basket, surround of coloured patterned tiles. In right-hand rear corner of left room an L-shaped wooden staircase with oblong section balusters. Upper-floor rooms have moulded wood cornices. Exposed king-post-and-ridge roof trusses. Described in 1973 list as Sunday School dated 1841. No date now visible. Reputed to have been a British National School.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348147Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #109838 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 20 2015 2:41PM