HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV96069
Name:Rosehill, Rumsam Road, Bishops Tawton

Summary

Regency style house built circa 1835. Courtyard plan with two storey bows to full height with conical roofs and an additional bow forming the centre of the north side.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 570 314
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBishop's Tawton
DistrictNorth Devon

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Department of Environment, 1986, Bishop's Tawton, 32 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV80521.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Rosehill, Rumsam Road. House, one time Marist Convent, presently unoccupied (December 1984). c.1835. Stucco-faced with scantle slate roofs. Central courtyard plan with 2-storey bows to full height with conical roofs and deep eaves at each corner and additional projecting bow forming centre north side. Gable-end extension to left side. 2 storeys with basement to north range. 3 bay central range to west side of C19 2- light casements with margin glazing bars, 4 panes per light. The 2-storey bows with sashes on each floor 6 over 6 panes with original glass. Slated verandah roof across centre with crenellated wall plate supported on timber posts, the 2 central ones of square section, those at each end circular in section and with arched spandrels. The verandah encloses a 2-light casement 6 panes per light with margin glazing bars to left and 1/2-glazed panelled door to right with margin glazing bars both set in wider reveals with slightly cambered arches and fluted keystones. Bows have plat-bands running out to quoins and wrought iron railings to ground floor sill height with spear shafts. Symmetrical north side has round ends (right-hand end is bow to front) and has central bow. 4 over 4 paned sash on each floor to central bow, and a single sash 6 over 6 panes to left and right side bows, other openings being blocked. 3 similar sashes to south side above 2 French windows with margin glazing bars. Garden boundary wall of stone rubble with brick capping extends south from front right side with pointed arched Gothick doorway with quatrefoil window to left. Internal joinery and fittings virtually intact including marble chimneypieces, panelled doors and shutters, geometrical staircase with stick balusters and wreathed handrail. Moulded plasterwork ceiling roundels and enriched floriated plasterwork cornices to principal room. This is a remarkably complete Regency style house, certainly inspired by Nash's Cronkhill.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109970 ]
SDV80521List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Bishop's Tawton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 32.

Associated Monuments

MDV96070Related to: Stables and Coach House, Rosehill, Bishops Tawton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 27 2013 12:53PM