HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV9612
Name:Cross in Churston Ferrers Churchyard

Summary

Restored cross standing on a large boulder in the churchyard. The shaft of the cross formerly stood in the garden of Churston Court but was presented to the church in 1939. It was set up in the church but was subsequently moved outside by the south porch. It was restored with a new head and arms in 2000 and set up in its current position.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 904 564
Map Sheet:SX95NW
Civil ParishTorbay
DistrictTorbay
Ecclesiastical ParishCHURSTON FERRERS

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX95NW/17/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (Early Medieval to XX - 1066 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

A cross-shaft at churston court. Vis=estimated -/-/1936(masson phillips, e. N. ) a cross-shaft stands in the centre of a flower bed in the walled garden southwest of churston court. It formerly stood in the garden north of the church, under the trees. Type b. It is a tapering granite shaft, octagonal in section, and lacks head and arms. At present it serves as a support for climbing plants. As burials formerly took place in the churchyard at higher brixham, the lane along which the dead were carried was known as the 'lichway'. Funerals used to make a circle round a pile of stones which stood in the road, supposed to have been the base of a cross. The custom was abandoned when the road was altered. The cross (i. E. The shaft now at churston court) presumably once stood at the fork of the road above the church. Vis=estimated -/-/1953(masson phillips, e. N. ) the cross-shaft has now been erected inside the parish church at the west end of the south aisle. It has cushion stops at its base. In all probability it originally stood at the triangle where the old road to brixham joins up with churston ferrers avenue. It was subsequently found built into an old farmhouse at churston court and was set up in the grounds until 1939, when it was presented to the church. Vis=11/7/1955(os) no further information.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV316323.

Masson phillips, e. N. /tda/69(1937)319-320/the ancient stone crosses of devon, part 1.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV316324.

Masson phillips, e. N. /tda/86(1954)176/supplementary notes on the ancient stone crosses of devon, fourth paper.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV316325.

Osa=sx95nw7.


Watson, A., 2007-2017?, Devon Crosses, 102 (Vol 1) (Un-published). SDV360833.

A cross, restored in 2000, stands on a large boulder in the churchyard extension. Comprises a tapering granite shaft, octagonal in section with cushion stops at the base, with a new head and arms. The shaft formerly stood in the grounds of Churston Court until presented to the church by Lord Churston in 1939. It then stood at the west end of the south aisle with a plaque stating that it probably originally stood where the old road to Brixham joins with Churston Ferrers Avenue.
Cross height: 128 inches, span 28 inches. Base 13 inches by 10 inches.
Shaft height: before restoration 99 inches.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England, 1293065 (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Cross shaft adjoining east wall of the south porch of Church of St Mary the Virgin.
Cross shaft. Late medieval. Granite. Tapered octagonal shaft with convex stops at the base. Notice in church porch says 'It is thought to have stood on the triangle where the old Brixham Road meets Churston Avenue. For many years the shaft supported a staircase in a farm'. Presented to the church by Lord Churston in 1939.
Date first listed: 18th October 1993

Sources / Further Reading

SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV316323Migrated Record:
SDV316324Migrated Record:
SDV316325Migrated Record:
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1293065. [Mapped feature: #58793 ]
SDV360833Un-published: Watson, A.. 2007-2017?. Devon Crosses. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 102 (Vol 1).

Associated Monuments

MDV9601Related to: Cross at Churston Ferrers Parish Church (Monument)
MDV9599Related to: PARISH CHURCH in the Parish of (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 8 2018 2:50PM