HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV97411
Name:Former Buildings in South-East Corner of Churchyard

Summary

Range of buildings shown forming the south-east corner of the churchyard, including the 'Ring of Bells' public house. Demolished in the early 20th century, before the Buller memorial was erected.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 836 001
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BUILDING (Early Medieval to XIX - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

L-shaped range of buildings shown to south-east of church.


Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Range of buildings shown forming the south-east corner of the churchyard, including the 'Ring of Bells' public house. Map object based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

L-shaped range of buildings shown at the corner of Church Lane and East Street.


Devon Religious Houses Survey, 1986-7, Devon Religious Houses Survey. Crediton (Archive - Survey). SDV358570.

Includes copy of a churchyard plan of 1871 depicting buildings in south-east corner.


Gent, T. H., 2007, Review of the Archaeological Evidence for the Location of the Saxon Minster at Crediton, 6; figures 1, 4-7 (Report - Assessment). SDV339904.

Buildings still front the corner of Church Lane and East Street in the 1880s.


GSB Prospection, 2007, The Search for Saxon Crediton, 4; figure 1 (Report - Geophysical Survey). SDV344212.

A former row of houses in the south-east of the churchyard, and shown on early maps of the area, were located in in the unsurveyed area adjacent to the road. These buildings were demolished in the early 20th century.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Map object based on this source.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Railings to the south-east corner of the churchyard are of a slightly different design, probably 1911, when the Buller memorial was erected.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV339904Report - Assessment: Gent, T. H.. 2007. Review of the Archaeological Evidence for the Location of the Saxon Minster at Crediton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 07.69. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6; figures 1, 4-7.
SDV344212Report - Geophysical Survey: GSB Prospection. 2007. The Search for Saxon Crediton. GSB Prospection Report. 2007/38. A4 Stapled + Digital. 4; figure 1.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV358570Archive - Survey: Devon Religious Houses Survey. 1986-7. Devon Religious Houses Survey. Crediton. Devon Religious Houses Survey. Photocopy + Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4348 - Assessment of a Survey Searching for the Saxon Minster in Crediton
  • EDV4587 - Geophysical Survey around Holy Cross Parish Church, Crediton

Date Last Edited:Jun 19 2015 9:41AM