HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV97419
Name:Crediton Methodist Church

Summary

Methodist Church, an eclectic mixture of Gothic and Vernacular Revival with some polychromatic detail. Interior may retain fittings of interest. Foundation stone laid by Lady Lymington, September 4th 1891.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 833 002
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • METHODIST CHAPEL (Built, XIX - 1891 AD to 1891 AD (Throughout))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)' shown.


Mid Devon District Council, 2003, Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal, Section 5; photo 27 (Report - non-specific). SDV345978.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Methodist Church. 1891 (datestone). Flemish bond brick with local volcanic trap and Ham Hill stone dressings; slate roof with ornamental ridge tiles; tiled roofs to front bays. Eclectic mixture of Gothic and Vernacular Revival with some polychromatic detail. Plan: rectangular on plan, 5-bay main block with smaller chancel-like block at the north end. South end has an entrance narthex between projecting entrance bays. Exterior: Symmetrical. Gabled to the front with a coped gable with kneelers, gable filled with volcanic trap brought to course. Large central Ham Hill rose window in a moulded 3-centred arched architrave has a hoodmould with a fleur-de-lis finial, the lower spandrels filled with quatrefoils in roundels. Steps up to an embattled 2-bay narthex in the centre with moulded stone 2-centred arches and a central column with moulded capital. To left and right, projecting stair bays with battered plinths and rock-faced volcanic trap quoins have hipped tiled roofs with terra cotta finials. The bays are glazed with timber ribbon windows below the eaves, returning to left and right, glazed with leaded panes with plain stained glass. In the centre of each bay the sills are dropped to form a 2-light window with cinquefoil-headed lights and 2 transoms. In the narthex boarded doors to left and right give access to the entrance bays. The returns are buttressed with a moulded brick band below the eaves and another, carried out round the butresses, forming the sills of the first floor windows. Segmental-arched ground floor windows with high transoms. Similar first floor windows with stained glass above the transoms. The lower-roofed block at the north end has a traceried north window. Interior: Not inspected but may retain fittings of interest. Foundation stone laid by Lady Lymington, September 4 1891.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV345978Report - non-specific: Mid Devon District Council. 2003. Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. Section 5; photo 27.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #110154 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 11 2017 12:00AM