HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV97436
Name:Former County Police Station

Summary

Office building, built for the Downes Estate circa 1850, later a police station, now used as council offices.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 832 004
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 387072

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • OFFICE (Mid, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))
  • POLICE STATION (Mid, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'County Police Station' shown.


Mid Devon District Council, 2001, Crediton Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme, Figure 4 (Report - non-specific). SDV351389.

Considered a visually prominent building within the Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Office building. Built for the Downes Estate,later a police station, now used as council offices. Circa 1850. Flemish bond brick with Bathstone dressings; slate roof; axial stack with corbelled brick shaft. Italianate style. Plan: double-depth, 2 rooms wide with a central stair hall. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay front with a hipped slate roof with deep eaves on moulded brackets with a cornice below. The ground floor has a stone band rising as moulded round-headed arches with keystones over the windows and door. Central round-headed doorway with a large fanlight; C20 replacement door flanked by glazed vertical panels. Round-headed ground floor windows recessed below the stone arches with gauged brick arches, glazed with sash windows with spoke glazing bars. 5 first floor 12-pane sashes with moulded stone architraves and stone sills. The platbands are carried round the returns, which also preserve their original sash windows; some original sash windows visible on rear. Interior: Contains original joinery and a stick baluster stair. Particularly important for group value with the 1836 buildings, both in Market Street and in Parliament Street.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #110161 ]
SDV351389Report - non-specific: Mid Devon District Council. 2001. Crediton Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Grip Bound + Digital. Figure 4.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 12 2013 10:49AM