HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV982
Name:Filleigh House, Castle Hill

Summary

Filleigh house, a mansion at castle hill. In 1684, the old manor house was enlarged and turned around. A work which involved the removal of the parish church (see subsheet). Much of the mansion visible today, however, was the work of hugh fortescue, lord clinton in the 1730's. Further changes were made in the late 18th and 19th centuries. The whole of the central block was gutted by fire in 1934 and subsequently rebuilt. The landscaping of the gardens involved the building of a 'ruined' triumphal arch and a sham ruin of a castle behind the house etc. Full details in hoskins (hoskins).

Location

Grid Reference:SS 671 284
Map Sheet:SS62NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishFilleigh
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishFILLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS62NE/4
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 98946

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANSION HOUSE (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

DOE 1987, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV84657.

References also in fortescue (fortescue). Vis=-/-/1951 (pevsner). Vis=6/11/1970 (os). No notable remains of the 17th century house. Vis=swete describes the grounds and exterior of the house. He also visited the dog kennel and the chalybeate spring in the grounds, which produced water of "considerable strength and colour". The spring was housed in a building partly overgrown by moss and roots of trees, and having in its centre a receptacle for the mineral water (swete). Vis=unknown(doe) the 1684 house was enlarged and refashioned about 1730. Further work took place in 1841, 1862 and 1934. A long palladian front. Grounds finely landscaped (doe). Many of the landscaping features within the grounds, eg. The artificial ruin called castle, have been listed. Full details in list (doe 1964). Vis=illustrations of filleigh castle by swete (dro). Vis=plans of castle hill + grounds of late 18th century/early 19th century and 1792 in dro (dro). Vis=castle hill house formerly listed as castle hill. Dated rebuilding of late tudor house in 1684. The 1684 block is basically rectangular but breaks forward at each end at the front and the back forming a shallow h-shape plan. In circa 1730 the house was remodelled. Many new features on new doe list and graded as a grade ii* building (doe 1987).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84658.

Andrews, j. H. B. /tda/92(1960)40/the parish of satterleigh and warkleigh.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84659.

Fortescue, earl/tda/88(1956)4,6/pres. Address:some notes on the family of fortescue.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84660.

Osa=ss62ne2.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84661.

Pevsner, n. /buildings of north devon/(1952)67-68.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84662.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)398-399.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84663.

Swete, j. /dcnq/1 part1(1900-1901)206/tour in north devon by rev. John swete.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84664.

Doe/hhr:south molton r. D. /(1964)29.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84665.

Dro=564m/13/91(illustrations by swete).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84666.

Dro=1262m/e22/2+5/(plans).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV84667.

Doe/hhr:filleigh/(13/5/1987)32-33.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

Filleigh house, a mansion at castle hill. In 1684, the old manor house was enlarged and turned around. A work which involved the removal of the parish church (see subsheet). Much of the mansion visible today, however, was the work of hugh fortescue, lord clinton in the 1730's. Further changes were made in the late 18th and 19th centuries. The whole of the central block was gutted by fire in 1934 and subsequently rebuilt. The landscaping of the gardens involved the building of a 'ruined' triumphal arch and a sham ruin of a castle behind the house etc. Full details in hoskins (hoskins).


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #110236 ]
SDV84657Report - Survey: DOE 1987.
SDV84658Migrated Record:
SDV84659Migrated Record:
SDV84660Migrated Record:
SDV84661Migrated Record:
SDV84662Migrated Record:
SDV84663Migrated Record:
SDV84664Migrated Record:
SDV84665Migrated Record:
SDV84666Migrated Record:
SDV84667Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV16900Part of: Stables at Castle Hill (Building)
MDV983Related to: Castle Hill Cross (Building)
MDV12024Related to: Castle Hill Deer Park (Monument)
MDV20701Related to: Castle Hill Icehouse (Monument)
MDV32500Related to: Filleigh, Castle Hill Park (Park/Garden)
MDV33786Related to: Fishpond in Lower Beer Wood (Monument)
MDV31946Related to: Meadow Park Lodge, Castle Hill Park (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 3 2015 1:13PM