HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV9830
Name:White Well, Bishopsteignton

Summary

Well dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Once associated with healing, now a wishing well. Covered by a circular stone-built strucure. Once fed the fishponds and moat of the Bishop's Palace.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 913 748
Map Sheet:SX97SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBishopsteignton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBISHOPSTEIGNTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX97SW/2

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOLY WELL (Unknown date)

Full description

Polwhele, R., 1793-1806, The History of Devonshire, Vol. 2, 148 (Monograph). SDV21030.


Jordan, M. H., 1910, Notes on Venn in the Parish of Bishop's Teignton, 514 (Article in Serial). SDV306938.


Brown, T., 1957, Holy and Notable Wells of Devon, 209 (Article in Serial). SDV304810.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1960 - 1980, SX97SW1.2 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV342931.

Site visit 24/06/1953. White Well, Whitwell or Witywell, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Formerly resorted to for fevers, now a wishing well. The spring is covered by a circular building of ashlar sandstone with a corbelled roof. Structure 2.0 metres diameter and 1.7 metres high, cut slightly back into the hill on the north side. Opening in the south side, 0.4 metres wide and 0.6 metres high.


Freeman, M., 1974 - 1994, Well at SX91347487 (Ground Photograph). SDV342934.


Dudley, E. R., 1981, Untitled Source (Worksheet). SDV342932.

Red sandstone circular structure with domed roof over well. Well not deep but contains several springs overflowing into a channel. Well supplied the fishponds and moat of the Bishop's Palace. In 1836 the water supply for the gasworks was obtained from White Well Stream.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV21030Monograph: Polwhele, R.. 1793-1806. The History of Devonshire. The History of Devonshire. Unknown. Vol. 2, 148.
SDV304810Article in Serial: Brown, T.. 1957. Holy and Notable Wells of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 89. A5 Hardback. 209.
SDV306938Article in Serial: Jordan, M. H.. 1910. Notes on Venn in the Parish of Bishop's Teignton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 42. Unknown. 514.
SDV342931Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1960 - 1980. SX97SW1.2. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV342932Worksheet: Dudley, E. R.. 1981. Parish Checklist. Worksheet.
SDV342934Ground Photograph: Freeman, M.. 1974 - 1994. Well at SX91347487. Photograph (Paper).

Associated Monuments

MDV9880Related to: Bishop's Palace, Bishopteignton (Building)
MDV75684Related to: Leat/Drain to North of the Bishop's Palace, Bishopsteignton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 27 2009 12:11PM