HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV98386
Name:Gorge House formerly Bayfield House, Lydford


Gorge House formerly Bayfield House a rectory built in 1870 to the south of the parish church in Lydford


Grid Reference:SX 510 846
Map Sheet:SX58SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (XIX to XXI - 1870 AD to 2014 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Rectory' shown on 19th century map as three adjoining buildings to the south-east of lydford parish church.

Unknown, 2004, Application for Planning Permission, Bayfield House, Lydford (Planning Application). SDV350044.

Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants, 2004, Bayfield House, Lydford, Devon (Report - Survey). SDV350045.

Bayfield House was built as the rectory to St. Petrock's Church in 1870 within landscaped grounds set well-back and downslope of the road. The site was chosen for its view over Lydford Gorge and the moor beyond. The house was designed and built by G.E. Street in 1870 in Tudor Gothic style. Street's drawings of the proposed plans and elevations of the house survive in the Devon Record Office. The design of the house relates to its setting resulting in an unconventional layout. Constructed of red brick faced with local slatestone with limestone ashlar dressings under slate roofs. The plan is asymmetrical comprising two rectangular ranges on an east-west axis each with its own gable-ended roof. The principle rooms are in the south range which has circular turrets on its western corners flanking the former garden entrance and a third turret on the south-eastern corner. The main entrance front is the north facing service range with the stair block and a single storey kitchen range off its east end. A long single-storey range referred to as the music room continues the line of the kitchen block to the east with a smaller range on its south side. The latter faces south with views over Lydford Gorge and was probably used as a summer house. The music room and summer house are not part of Street's original design but the extension is shown on the 1880s Ordnance Survey map suggesting that it was added shortly after the rectory was built, in about 1875. The interior of the house is relatively plain compared to the exterior. All the principal ground floor rooms have original, limestone Tudor style fireplaces, those on the first floor are smaller and plainer. Only the roof of the rear block was available at the time of the survey. Eight bays long it is of unusual kingpost design and economical in its use timber.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Building marked as 'Gorge House' on current mapping.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Bayfield House, former vicarage. 1870 by G E Street at a cost of £5,000. Slate stone rubble walls with limestone dressings. Slate roof, gabled to main range, hipped to two lower ranges which have delabole slates, decorative ridge tiles and terracotta finials. Six tall stone rubble stacks : main range has one gable end stack, two axial and one lateral stack and the lower part has one lateral stack between its front and rear ranges and one at the front.
Plan: Main range to the right with two single storey parallel blocks to the left of which the front one was reputedly a hall for choir practice and the rear may have been a summer house. The main range is of double depth with the entry hall at the front of the right end and a passage extending to its left between the front and rear rooms. The 3 rear rooms are the principal rooms and overlook Lydford Gorge; the front rooms were probably offices. At the end of the passage is the staircase. To the front of it, projecting from the other front room is the kitchen which was single storey, with service rooms beyond it to the left. The two parallel single storey ranges extend to the left.
Exterior: two storeys with attic. Irregular entrance front of two parallel ranges with lower range to the left. The two parallel blocks to the right have steep gable ended roofs. The principal rear range projects slightly to the right and has circular turrets on three of its corners with conical roofs. The range in front is shorter and narrower and contains an integral porch at its right end with two-centred arched doorway. In the left-hand angle of the two ranges is a single storey kitchen range with half-hipped gable at the front. Projecting to its left is the practise hall block with steep hipped roof and small gable over entrance. Windows have stone mullions with mostly shouldered or cusped heads and chamfered jambs - containing sash windows. Three-window entrance front above the doorway to the right is a pointed head niche containing a cross. Double plank doors in porch have ornate wrought iron hinges. At left end of main range single storey kitchen wing projects with lower four window hall extending to its left. Right-hand end has two gable ends, the right one projecting flanked by circular turrets with windows. Slated canopy between them. Rear elevation is asymmetrical and has corner turrets and three windows. First floor windows are paired single lights with cross mullioned transomed windows to ground floor. Large half hipped attic gable to right with two windows. At right end of this range is a rectangular stair projection beyond which is a one storey range parallel to the hall at the front.
Interior : Principal rooms have wooden panelled ceilings. Wooden chimney pieces have chamfered jambs and lintel. Date listed: 28th October 1987.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #110253 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV350044Planning Application: Unknown. 2004. Application for Planning Permission, Bayfield House, Lydford. Dartmoor National Park Planning Authority. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV350045Report - Survey: Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants. 2004. Bayfield House, Lydford, Devon. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K693. A4 Comb Bound.

Associated Monuments

MDV102694Related to: Former Coach House, Cornerways, Lydford (Building)
MDV98387Related to: Former Stable Arch to Bayfield House, Lydford (Monument)
MDV98385Related to: Gazebo to south-east of Gorge House, Lydford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6019 - Historic Building Assessment of Brayfield House, Lydford (Ref: K693)

Date Last Edited:Aug 22 2014 12:39PM