HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV98483
Name:St Petrock's Well and pond 35 metres south-west of Lewtrenchard Hotel

Summary

Well house and garden pond. Late 19th century, built for and probably designed by Sabine Baring-Gould, squire and parson here between 1881 and 1924. A stone cross with an encircling ring around the arms stands on the gable of the well house.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 458 860
Map Sheet:SX48NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLewtrenchard
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLEWTRENCHARD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WELL HOUSE (Constructed, XIX - 1850 AD to 1899 AD (Between))
  • CROSS (Constructed, XIX - 1880 AD to 1899 AD (Between))
  • POND (Constructed, XIX to World War II - 1899 AD to 1940 AD? (Between))

Full description

Watson, A., 2007-2017?, Devon Crosses, 387, (Vol 3), sketch (Un-published). SDV360833.

Saint Petrock's Well SX459861
A cross stands on the gable of Saint Petrock's Well, a small rectangular well house at Lewtrenchard Manor hotel. The well house has a corbelled granite roof and a chambered round-headed doorway below a simple round headed niche. A cross of square section, with a circle around the head and arms. The well house was built by Sabine Baring-Gould, who was squire and parson here between 1881 and 1924, in the grounds of his house (now Lewtrenchard Manor Hotel).
Although this may not be a site of great antiquity, Baring-Gould included some of the original well stones in the construction of this holy well.
Cross height 0.61 metres, span 0.27 metres.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

'Pond' is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

SX 48 NE LEW TRENCHARD LEW TRENCHARD - 4/111 St Petrocks well and garden pond - about 35m south west of the Manor Hotel - GV II
Wellhouse and garden pond. Late C19, built for and probably designed by Sabine Baring-Gould. Granite ashlar wellhouse, garden pond with stone border. Small rectangular wellhouse has a corbelled granite roof gabled at ends, and a chamfered round-headed doorway below a simple round-headed niche with a stone cross in the gable. The interior has an additional small niche on the left hand wall. The external niche originally contained a statue of St Petrock. Baring-Gould, who rebuilt Lew House (now the Manor Hotel) in the late C19 may have been prompted to build the wellhouse by the presence of the holy well in the grounds of Morwenstow Vicarage, the home of the Reverend R.S. Hawker. Baring-Gould published a biography of Hawker in 1876. The rectangular fishpond is immediately in front of the wellhouse.
Listing NGR: SX4586486024

Sources / Further Reading

SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #110647 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV360833Un-published: Watson, A.. 2007-2017?. Devon Crosses. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 387, (Vol 3), sketch.

Associated Monuments

MDV64756Part of: Gardens at Lewtrenchard Manor (Building)
MDV98489Related to: TERRACE WALL ABOUT 40 METRES SOUTH OF THE MANOR HOTEL (Building)
MDV1604Related to: The Manor Hotel (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 15 2018 12:14PM