HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV98906
Name:Cast Iron Fence Posts Between Bridgeland Street and Bideford Bridge


37 cast-iron fence posts between Bridgeland St and Bideford Bridge, most dated 1847, one 1892, the remainder undated.


Grid Reference:SS 455 267
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTHAM
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 375933

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FENCE (XIX - 1847 AD to 1892 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Google, 2012, Google Streetview (Website). SDV348799.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

37 cast-iron fence-posts. Most dated 1847, one 1892. the remainder undated. Identical in design with tapered octagonal shafts and moulded caps, the sides panelled; at the top, holes to carry tubular iron bars (now removed), at the bottom, in most cases, mountings for rings (nearly all broken off), presumably intended to carry chains. The 3 posts adjoining the bridge have holes top and bottom, the section immediately next to the bridge now having 20th century replacement-bars. Most carry an inscription moulded on one, or occasionally two panels: IRON FOUNDERS BIDEFORD 1847. Some lack the date or any inscription at all; the ninth post from the north has the date 1892. The surface-level of the quay has clearly risen considerably; probably the founder's name is on the buried sections of the posts. There is a gap in the centre of the series, corresponding roughly to the present working quay. The tubular bars seem to have been added after the widening of the quay in 1899; they were in position by 1905. Photographs of the early 1880s show chains hanging from the tops of the posts.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV348799Website: Google. 2012. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV494Related to: Bideford Quay (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4517 - Archaeological Appraisal of River Torridge Pipeline Routes, Bideford, Devon

Date Last Edited:Sep 11 2012 2:26PM