HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV98936
Name:8 Bridgeland Street, Bideford

Summary

House of probable 1690s date, detached from rest of house to left in 1712. Now used as offices. Retains original wooden dog-leg stair.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 454 268
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 375742

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII - 1690 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

8 Bridgeland Street. House, now offices. Probably 1690s, detached from rest of house to left in 1712. Solid rendered front, almost certainly of brick underneath. Slate roof. Plan is 1-room wide, 2-rooms deep with stair compartment between the front and back rooms; entrance-passage to left of ground-floor front room with closet above it on first floor. Judging from other contemporary houses in the street, this was originally double-fronted; the rear room was a wing, either original or added later in 18th century. Three storeys probably heightened from 2 storeys in late 18th century; 2-window range. Ground storey has 20th century display window flanked by 2 doorways; house-door to left has flanking pilasters, entablature and fanlight, probably all 20th century. Second storey has early 19th century wooden canted bay window with 6-paned sashes; entablature with bracketed cornice. 6-paned sash-window in box-frame to left. Third storey has barred sash-window in concealed frame to right: 2 panes over 6 panes. Wood casement to left: 2 lights of 6 panes each. Prominent moulded eaves-cornice.
Interior: original wooden dog-leg stair rising to first floor has pulvinated closed strings, stout moulded balusters, square newels with flat moulded caps (the caps at half-landing ar 20th century replacements), broad moulded handrail. On first-floor landing 2 original doors, each with 2 bolection-moulded panels. Winding stair to second floor has square newel and moulded handrail; it probably led to an original garret. First-floor front room has plain dado with moulded rail and skirting; late 18th century wooden chimneypiece with panelled pilasters and frieze with urns and festoons, the interior with outer part of a mid 19th century iron grate. First-floor rear room has late 18th century wall-cupboard with panelled doors. On ground-floor mid/late 19th century half-glazed inner front door; upper part has coloured glass and glazing-bars forming Gothic arches.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #110309 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 11 2012 4:04PM