HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV98940
Name:21 and 22 Bridgeland Street, Bideford


Pair of houses, number 21 now with shop. Probably built as a single house in 1692, remodelled as two houses in 1821.


Grid Reference:SS 453 267
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 375751

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1692 AD to 1821 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

21 and 22 Bridgeland Street. Pair of houses, No 21 now with shop. Probably built as a single house in 1692, remodelled as 2 houses in 1821. Solid rendered front. Slate roof. Rendered, rebuilt chimney on left gable-end. Three storeys. No 21 is of one-window range with doorway to left of ground-storey window. No 22 is of 2-window range with doorway between the ground-storey windows, off-centre to left. The doorways are round-arched with panelled reveals; flanking Doric pilasters and entablature, the cornice missing at No 21. The windows to No 21 have been replaced by a mid/late 19th century canted bay, the third-storey window developed into a dormer. Shop window in ground storey; sashes in second storey, the middle light with margin-panes; dormer similar, but with prominent perforated bargeboards on large curved brackets. No 22 has canted bay with top cornice to right of ground storey; 3-light window above it in second storey. Sash windows throughout, mostly 6-paned, except for 3-paned top sashes in third storey. Lower sashes in ground and second storeys now plain.
Interior not inspected. The building-lease on this site was granted by the Bideford Bridge Feoffees in 1692 to William Linex, brickmaker. Lease of 1821 shows it sub-divided. No 21 Bridgeland Street was listed on 19.3.73.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #110312 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Sep 12 2012 8:47AM