HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV98964
Name:13 Bridgeland Street, Bideford


Seventeenth century house with 19th century remodelling, now a public house.


Grid Reference:SS 453 268
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 375745

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • (Former Type) HOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1692 AD to 1870 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Map object based on this source.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

13 Bridgeland Street. House, now public house. 1692, the facade and parts of the interior remodelled early or mid 19th century. Solid rendered walls, probably of brick and stone underneath. Slate roof. Rendered chimney at left-hand end of front ridge. Plan of 2 rooms wide, probably with central entrance-passage originally; rear wing on left, with staircase at the front and kitchen behind. Early or mid 19th century wing on right. Three storeys. Three-window range with centre doorway. Latter has attached, plain-shafted Doric columns, panelled reveals and entablature; 6-panelled door with brass knocker. Ground-storey windows are canted, flat-topped wooden bays with reeded half-columns between the lights, these supporting entablatures with bracketed cornices; 8-paned sashes in the middle, 6-paned ones at the sides. Upper-storey windows have eared architraves, those to second storey moulded; bracketed sills to third storey.Eight-paned sashes to both storeys. Whole front flanked by raised quoins. Bracketed eaves-cornice. Rear windows have mostly barred sashes, some with margin-panes; stair windows similar, one with engraved glass in margin-panes.
Interior: ground-storey rooms mainly amalgamated to form restaurant. Right-hand front room has original box-cornice on 3 sides. Kitchen has complete original moulded cornice. Wide fireplace in rear wall with moulded wooden cornice; at either side, high up, cupboards with sunk, bolection-moulded panelled doors and hinges. Other ground-floor rooms have early or mid 19th century cornices. Original wooden dog-leg staircase, rising from ground to top floor: closed, pulvinated strings, stout turned balusters, square newels with flat moulded caps, flat moulded handrail. The first-floor front rooms have early or mid 19th century cornices; the right-hand room has a wooden chimneypiece, probably of circa 1900, with original cast-iron grate and green-tiled surround. All 3 third-storey rooms have 6-panelled doors; that in left front room with 2-fillet ovolo-moulded panels, that to right with raised-and-fielded, one-fillet ovolo-moulded panels, that to wing with ogee-moulded panels. Right-hand front room has early or mid 19th century chimneypiece with cast-iron basket-grate. This was a Bideford Bridge Trust property, first leased to Richard Smith on 20.3.1692/3. Smith appears to have died in 1704, and his widow, Mary, took out a new lease in 1705.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Sep 12 2012 9:58AM