HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV9916
Name:Shaldon, St Peters


Parish church, built 1893-1902 by Edmund Sedding. Flying buttresses added 1932 by W. D. Caroe.


Grid Reference:SX 931 724
Map Sheet:SX97SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishShaldon
Ecclesiastical ParishST.NICHOLAS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5097
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX97SW/65
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 460984

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XIX to XX - 1893 AD to 1932 AD (Between))

Full description

Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 212,281 (Monograph). SDV336217.

Excellent example of its date, by E. Sedding influenced by his brother J. D. Sedding. Exterior described. Interior has a stone wagon-roof and rusticated arcades similar to 18th century work by Gibbs and others. Compared with St. Mary's Abbotsbury.

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 470 (Monograph). SDV17562.

St. Peter's church shaldon. Built 1893-1902.

Department of Environment, 1983, Teignmouth, 6 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV338952.

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Parish church. 1893-1902 by Edmund Sedding. Flying buttresses added 1932 by WD Caroe. MATERIALS: mostly red sandstone with Cornish polyphant quoins, strings of Portland stone and polyphant to the clerestorey; Ham Hill stone flying buttresses; all these and various marbles to the interior; slate roof. STYLE: Arts and Crafts Free Gothic. PLAN: 6-bay truncated cruciform plan with semi-octagonal apsed chancel, north transept and low gabled vestry with cupola, south-east apsed chapel. EXTERIOR: castellated parapet to the nave; arcaded clerestorey of alternate trefoil-headed leaded windows and niches; moulded coping to the parapet of the buttressed aisles, six 1932 flying buttresses. The west front has a low flat-roofed baptistery between 2 lobbies: these have pointed-arched doors to front and returns below flying buttresses filled in with panelled tracery; 3 lancet windows to the centre. The west window spanning the whole interior of the nave is set in a deeply recessed Gothic arch, it has 2 wide mullions and exuberant flowing cusped tracery. Rising from the front of the baptistery are 2 wide shafts banded red and white reaching to the parapet of the nave. A high pointed arch connecting them has a banded gable end above, with a gabled niche to the apex containing a statue of St Peter. INTERIOR: spectacular. Stained-glass windows by Sedding to the nave, chancel and Lady Chapel. Plymouth stone widely-chamfered rectangular-section piers with slightly concave facets support Portland stone pointed arches with alternate blocked voussoirs. Plymouth stone niches to the spandrels have large granite blocks to the tops which support substantial white marble transverse arches with wrought-iron ties and ornamental verticals which articulate the panelled marble and Plymouth stone barrel vault. Widely-splayed pointed arches to trefoil-headed clerestorey windows. The roofs of the aisles are planked with crown-post trusses; red sandstone walls; alternate 2 and 3-light mullioned windows with cusped drop tracery to the arches. The semi-octagonal chancel, of 2 and a half bays, is similar to the nave and far more ornamented. The walls of the apse are banded grey and white; the panels of the roof are smaller and diminish around the apse with the principal ribs resting on niches with statues and elaborate corbels flanked by windows. The block voussoirs to the arches are richly carved, the floor is of diagonally-laid black and white marble squares, with black, white and red marble steps to the altar. The elaborate polyphant and marble rood screen has a pierced parapet behind 5 statues on a solid cornice with a crucifix above the central figure. An inscription, "Dignus est Angus qui occisus est accipere virtutem", is carved into the cornice over 5 arches which are pointed to the sides with wrought-iron infill and semicircular to the centre, all with drop tracery. Curved white marble steps lead to double fretted metal gates flanked by a polished green marble plinth with polished moulded marble coping. Carved marble communion rail. The Lady Chapel, similar but smaller in scale, is lit entirely by richly-coloured trefoil-headed lancet windows. Panels of the roof are smaller, a 2-bay arcade to the south has cylindrical capitals to columns with 4 colonnettes; the altar has a carved white marble communion rail and an ornamental marble floor. The vestry has a planked ceiling and red sandstone walls. FITTINGS: include a grand pulpit on a black marble octagonal stepped base to a shaft surrounded by red marble colonnettes with grey caps and bases. These support a pedestal to the body of the pulpit which has green marble panels with trefoil-headed openings and dark brown marble moulded base and cornice. Shafts at the angles are of very elaborately-carved white marble. The curved figured marble steps, arched below, have a wrought-iron balustrade. The coloured marble altar has a triple arcade, plinth and cornice. The organ to the left of the chancel, rebuilt in 1985, has an ornamented case. The font is a white marble figure of St John the Baptist bearing a clam-shell. The stations of the cross are of carved wood. HISTORICAL NOTE: a tower was to have been erected on the north river side. Edmund Sedding was responsible for many church restorations in the south-west and was nephew to JD Sedding, architect of Holy Trinity, Sloane Square, London. Pevsner describes the church as a superlative example of Arts and Crafts inventiveness. The original cost, including fitting, heating and lighting was »2,500. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B & Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 797).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 470.
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 212,281.
SDV338952List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1983. Teignmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 6.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #110360 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV20737Related to: St. Mary's Church, Highweek, Newton Abbot (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Dec 7 2017 1:12PM