HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV99249
Name:11 Bridgeland Street, Bideford


Large house of circa 1792, now converted into a shop.


Grid Reference:SS 453 268
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 375743

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVIII - 1790 AD to 1792 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

11 Bridgeland Street. Large house, now converted into a shop. Circa 1792. Solid rendered walls. Slate roofs, the front range hipped with centre valley. No chimneys visible externally, but set in thick wall between the front and back rooms.
Plan: 3 rooms wide and 2 rooms deep, with staircase in place of rear middle room; front rooms entered from stair through a small lobby; rear wing to right. Three storeys; rear wing 2 storeys. Remodelled front of 3-window range, the outer windows in the upper storeys having 3 lights each. Ground storey has late 20th century display windows, set in older moulded surrounds with moulded cornice. Upper storeys have box-framed sashes with horns. Modillioned eaves-cornice, its upper part apparently altered. Old photograph (taken before 1869) shows the front with 3-storey canted bay windows. Rear wall of main range (visible from the Rope Walk) has barred sash-windows and a tall, round-arched, small-paned stair window.
Interior: all partitions removed from ground storey of main range, except for wooden open-well staircase, which rises to third storey, and has cut strings with shaped step-ends, the treads with moulded nosings; slender turned balusters, 2 to a tread, with square necking-pieces; moulded handrail ramped up over plain-shafted column-newels; balustrades on both sides of first flight, scrolled at foot of stair; against the solid outer walls of flights to second storey is a half-handrail with half-newels, but no balusters. Second-storey rooms have 6-panelled doors with raised moulding on the panels; 2-fillet ovolo-moulded frames. Left-hand front room has original pink and grey marble chimneypiece with triple flanking shafts supporting entablature with white marble plaque in centre of frieze, carved with bunch of grapes; plain cornice-shelf; cast-iron grate with surround and hearth of black-and-white patterned tiles (probably late 19th cenutry). Right-hand front room has original wood chimneypiece with moulded architrave and dentilled cornice. Similar chimneypieces in rear third-storey rooms, but without the dentils. All 3 chimneypieces have cast-iron grates. Third-storey rooms have 2-panelled doors. Rear wing not inspected. This house replaced the eastern end of a still larger house (built in 1693), the remainder of which now forms No 12 Bridgeland Street. The Great House, as it was then called, was leased in 1784 to John Kimber of Bideford, esquire, 'who converted the same into Two Dwelling-houses'. In 1792 No 11 was described as 'the new dwelling house lately built by the said John Kimber now in the possession of Abraham Whiteacre Esquire'.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #110367 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Sep 13 2012 10:16AM