HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV99767
Name:Staddon's House and Cottage, Walkhampton

Summary

Pair of houses, originally one house subdivided into three cottages in the late 18th century, but later converted back into two cottages. Recent building survey work in 2015 identified this dwelling as a high status hall house dating to the early 14th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 533 697
Map Sheet:SX56NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWalkhampton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIV to XVII - 1301 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Depicted on the modern mapping.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England, 1105378 (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

WALKHAMPTON WALKHAMPTON SX 56 SW 17/142 Staddon's House and Cottage - GV II
Pair of houses, originally one house. C17, altered in C19. Rendered rubble walls. Gable ended asbestos slate roof. 3 brick stacks, one at left gable end the others axial. Plan: Originally likely to have been three rooms with through-passage, each room heated. Divided probably in C19 into 2 cottages, the left-hand one smaller occupying the lower end. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front, Stadden Cottage to the left has 2 C20 2-light casements, one on each floor, and a 1-storey hipped roof C19 addition at the front which has a C20 plank door on the right-hand side. Staddon House has C19 2-light small-paned casements with a C20 part-glazed door to left of centre under gable doorhood. Interior of Staddon Cottage has rough closely-spaced ceiling beams. This building forms a group with Town Farm and Littlecroft (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SX5335569781

Thorp, J., 2015, Staddons House and Cottage, Walkhampton, Devon (Report - Survey). SDV358630.

A handful of features survive to establish the presence of a high-status hall-house dating from the early 14th century. These are rare and important medieval features which give the building regional historic significance. The evidence of late16th-early 17th century improvements are confined the first floor structure and maybe the floor of the putative kitchen at the east end of the main block.
The division of the house into three cottages in the late 18th-early 19th century involved a major re-arrangement of the medieval house. The tithe map of c.1840 shows the place as three separate units with a cross passage in its present position. Also the single-storey service block is shown projecting forward (south) from the west end cottage and there are extensions on the back (north side) of the east end.
In the mid-late 19th century the centre and eastern cottage were reunited and these parts were extensively refurbished and modernised. The front of the cross passage was converted to an entrance lobby and the back was blocked by the insertion of a new framed stair. The western room was converted to a comfortable sitting room and the eastern room a kitchen/service room.

Steinmetzer, M., 2017, Historic building recording at Staddon House, Walkhampton, Devon, Site code: OA1276. (Report - Watching Brief). SDV364050.

Staddons is an important, if unconventional, historic house within Walkhampton, its size reflecting a large and prosperous farming establishment. Although the layout of the house perpetuates that of an earlier house, which was probably first constructed as a three room and cross-passage house in the early 14th century, unusually it has a separately accessed block at the west end, consisting of a through passage below and a chamber above. The building originally had an open hall, probably separated from the passage and the inner room by low screens. The inner room seems to have been rapidly fully storeyed with a jetty projecting into the still open hall. By the late 15th or early 16th century Staddons had become a building of some pretension as is attested by the presence of an elaborately decorated late medieval fireplace in the hall. The most extensive alterations were carried out in the late 18th or early 19th century when the house, having lost its passage and service end, was subdivided into three properties. Much of the original front and rear elevations was demolished and rebuilt to provide access to the new properties. The middle and eastern dwellings were united once more in the late 19th century and despite many later alterations, the building remains substantially as it was at this time. Information from OASIS Online Form.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #110426 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website. 1105378.
SDV358630Report - Survey: Thorp, J.. 2015. Staddons House and Cottage, Walkhampton, Devon. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants. K864. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV114842Related to: The Old Post Office, Walkhampton (Building)
MDV76865Related to: Town Farm farmstead, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV61281Related to: Town Farm, Walkhampton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6793 - Historic building assessment at Staddons House and Cottage, Walkhampton (Ref: K864)
  • EDV8392 - Staddons House, Walkhampton (Ref: OA1276)

Date Last Edited:Jan 19 2021 2:18PM