HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Essex HER Result
Essex HERPrintable version | About Essex HER | Visit Essex HER online...

Name:Beaumont Quay and Cut
SMR Number:9121
Type of record:Monument
Grid Reference:TM 193 240
Map Sheet:TM12SE
Parish:BEAUMONT-CUM-MOZE, TENDRING, ESSEX

Summary

A plaque in the wall of the barn records that the quay was built in 1832 of stones from old London Bridge for the Governors of Guys Hospital, who owned the estate.

Full description

A plaque in the wall of the barn records that the quay was built in 1832 of stones from old London Bridge for the Governors of Guys Hospital, who owned the estate. It seems likely that Beaumont Cut and kiln also date from this time. There were a number of other buildings on the quay until the 1950's including colliery and stables. As late as 1920 two barges were owned from Beaumont Hall, one of only 25 tons specially small for the Cut. Kiln and quay redundant, Cut no longer navigable. <1> Beaumont Quay forms part of the Beaumont Estate and is at the western end of the Walton Backwater. Area consisted of Quay and buildings associated with the quay including 3 houses and 2 lime kilns. Today only barn, kiln and quay survive. <1> The quay is built with a facing of tooled ashlar (ragstone or limestone) with post revetment further along. <5> Beaumont Cut is an artificial channel created so that barges could reach Beaumont Quay. A bank has been artificially raised parallel to the sea wall on the seaward side, built out of earth with wooden post piling. This is visible where the bank has eroded and has at one time existed all the way along, probably to or past the hard at TM 19852408. <5> There are revetments round the mouth or entrance from the quay area to the docking area. This entrance is perhaps similar to the mooring area at Goldhanger, where there is evidence that the top of the area was revetted out from the sea wall. There is the possibility that lock gates may have been fitted here which would have created a dry-dock for repairing barges or undertaking construction. <5> Photo <4> Slides <6> <7>
Industrial Record Number EX/AAG/SG1. <8>
Site scheduled 28 January 2003. <11>

Site Assessment = Consideration being given by County Planning Officer to listing the kiln which would include the Quay and Barn. <2> Also suggested for scheduling post visit by MPP fieldworker 1991. Visited 9/11/92 by Michael Copeman and Neil Smith - condition very good, kiln is remarkable due to remoteness of position. Only one known so far in Essex. Similar to ones in Norfolk and in better condition than Norfolk examples. <3>

Site Assessment 2002: The quay is 80m long in total, built along the northern bank of the Cut mostly in a straight line, except at the eastern end where it has been altered to curve around the later lime kiln. Of timber and stone construction, the timber section takes the form of a vertical plank revetment held in place by large horizontal timbers. The stone part of the quay is constructed of massive blocks laid in four courses forming a frontage 25.7m long and standing between 1.3m and 1.5m above the creek base. The blocks are unmortared but many are held together by iron staples. Behind the quay revetment and running its full length is a level earthen strip, 6m wide, forming the quayside, its northern edge is defined by a slight scarp 0.6m high. To the south west of the quay frontage are the timber remains of a sluice, which linked the end of Beaumont Cut with Landermere Creek (see PRN 14892) and some driven stakes which represent the remains of a footbridge structure. Located at the head of the creek is the wreck of the 'Rose' (see PRN 14891).
The lime kiln represents a local attempt to exploit the huge demand for lime for agricultural use in the 19th century. It is a circular structure in red brick contained within an earthen mound. The mound measures 12.6m in diameter and stands 2.5m high. The kiln floor is sunk a further 0.5m below ground level and is reached down a flight of four steps and along a short open passage. The interior of the kiln comprises a round, barrel-vaulted circulation passage, 1.55m wide and 2.25m high, around the central pedestal of the combustion chamber or pot. A small rectangular opening on its northern side is probably a ventilator allowing regulation of the draught to the kiln. The pedestal of the pot has three openings in addition to its entrance; these were used for setting the fire, raking off the ash and removing the finished lime. The kiln is a mixed feed type (in which the pot was filled with alternate layers of limestone and coal or anthracite dust) which have enabled continuous re-charging and firing for a long period of time, during which ash and lime were periodically drawn off. Adjacent to the kiln is the store building, the last surviving structure from a group which originally included a large two-storey arcaded store. The store building is single-storied, rectangular, measuring 10m long and 5.4m wide, constructed in red brick.
The quay and associated structures represents a rare survival of a complex of contemporary features which has been largely unaltered since it was abandoned in the early 20th century. <14>
Collection of photographs taken 23/4/96<15>
Photographs of Lime Kiln from 1996/7.<16>
Photographs of Stone plaque<17>
Photographs of Beaumont Quay with sailing barges working<18>
Lime Kiln renovation photographs before an after. (47 in total)<19>

Renovation of area around Beaumont Quay in 2001 August<20>
Pre restoration photographs 7 in total<21>
22 photographs of the area around Beaumont Quay taken late 1990s.<22>Statement of Condition Assessment and Conservation Management Statement from Februaury 2005<22>


<1> unknown, 1991, Future of Historic structures: Beaumont Quay, Internal ECC report by County Planner (CORRESPONDENCE). SEX28906.


<2> unknown, 1991, File 14/180/15, Internal reports by Director of Property Services (CORRESPONDENCE). SEX28907.


<3> Copeman, M, 1992, PERS COMM by Copeman, M (Artifact). SEX28908.


<4> unknown, unknown, HB&C (Photograph). SEX28909.


<5> Leech, T, 1994, Archaeological Survey of Beaumont Quay, Landermere Wharf & Batts Hall Dock, Record nos 4, 5, 54 (DESC TEXT). SEX11153.


<6> Strachan, David, 1995, CS/95/6/28, aerial view (Photograph). SEX28910.


<7> Leech, T, unknown, Beaumont 2, 11, 15, 17, 22, 23, 6 frames (Photograph). SEX28911.


<8> unknown, 1996, SWC, 08.05.1996 (Photograph). SEX58226.


<8> Gould, Shane, unknown, smr/iris cross reference (PERSONAL OBSERVATION). SEX52580.


<9> Strachan, David, 1998, CP/98/15/13 (AP). SEX58881.


<10> Pattison, P, 1996, Archaeological Field Survey Report, Beaumont-Cum-Moze (DESC TEXT). SEX59475.


<11> English Heritage, 2003, Beaumont Quay, Hamford Water - SM 32455, SAM 32455 (Scheduling record). SEX62255.


<12> RAF, 1955, F21.58/RAF/1672/271 (AP). SEX66895.


<13> Ingle, CJ, Strachan, D, Tyler, S and Saunders, H, 1993-2017, NMP Cropmark Plot - 1:10,000 (Map). SEX22419.


<14> Tyler, Sue, 2002, Beaumont Quay, Hamford water: a 19th century quay and limekiln (DESC TEXT). SEX67780.


<15> unknown, 1996, Beaumont Quay cuts and barge (Photograph). SEX68192.


<16> unknown, 1996/7, Beaumont Quay Kiln (Photograph). SEX68193.


<17> Barrett, Douglas, 1966, Historic stone at Beaumont Quay (Photograph). SEX68194.


<18> unknown, unknown, Working barges at Beaumont Quay (Photograph). SEX68195.


<19> unknown, 1997, Lime Kiln renovation photographs before an after (Photograph). SEX68196.


<20> unknown, unknown, Renovation of area around Beaumont Quay (Photograph). SEX68198.


<21> unknown, 1996/7, Beaumont Quay tile kiln prior to renovation (Photograph). SEX68199.


<21> unknown, unknown, Working barges at Beaumont Quay (Photograph). SEX68195.


<22> unknown, 1996/7, Beaumont Quay tile kiln prior to renovation (Photograph). SEX68199.


<22> unknown, 2005, Condition Assessment and Conservation Management Statement (DESC TEXT). SEX68275.


<22> unknown, unknown, 22 photographs of the area around Beaumont Quay taken late 1990s (Photograph). SEX68201.


<23> unknown, unknown, Beaumont Quay (Photograph). SEX68200.

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (C19, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BARN (C19, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CANAL (C19, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DOCK (C19, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DRY DOCK (C19, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIME KILN (C19, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SLUICE GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WHARF (C19, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Events

  • FIELD OBS by Leech, T, (Ref: ?)
  • Archaelogical Field Survey Beaumont Quay (Ref: ?)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument 1020688: Beaumont Quay, Hamford Water: a 19th century quay and lime kiln

Sources and further reading

<1>CORRESPONDENCE: unknown. 1991. Future of Historic structures: Beaumont Quay. Internal ECC report by County Planner.
<2>CORRESPONDENCE: unknown. 1991. File 14/180/15. Internal reports by Director of Property Services.
<3>Artifact: Copeman, M. 1992. PERS COMM by Copeman, M.
<4>Photograph: unknown. unknown. HB&C.
<5>DESC TEXT: Leech, T. 1994. Archaeological Survey of Beaumont Quay, Landermere Wharf & Batts Hall Dock. Record nos 4, 5, 54.
<6>Photograph: Strachan, David. 1995. CS/95/6/28. aerial view.
<7>Photograph: Leech, T. unknown. Beaumont 2, 11, 15, 17, 22, 23. 6 frames.
<8>PERSONAL OBSERVATION: Gould, Shane. unknown. smr/iris cross reference.
<8>Photograph: unknown. 1996. SWC, 08.05.1996.
<9>AP: Strachan, David. 1998. CP/98/15/13.
<10>DESC TEXT: Pattison, P. 1996. Archaeological Field Survey Report, Beaumont-Cum-Moze.
<11>Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2003. Beaumont Quay, Hamford Water - SM 32455. SAM 32455.
<12>AP: RAF. 1955. F21.58/RAF/1672/271.
<13>Map: Ingle, CJ, Strachan, D, Tyler, S and Saunders, H. 1993-2017. NMP Cropmark Plot - 1:10,000. paper. 1:10,000.
<14>DESC TEXT: Tyler, Sue. 2002. Beaumont Quay, Hamford water: a 19th century quay and limekiln.
<15>Photograph: unknown. 1996. Beaumont Quay cuts and barge.
<16>Photograph: unknown. 1996/7. Beaumont Quay Kiln. 150x100. Colour print.
<17>Photograph: Barrett, Douglas. 1966. Historic stone at Beaumont Quay.
<18>Photograph: unknown. unknown. Working barges at Beaumont Quay. B & W.
<19>Photograph: unknown. 1997. Lime Kiln renovation photographs before an after. colour print 47 in total.
<20>Photograph: unknown. unknown. Renovation of area around Beaumont Quay. colour print 120x 175. Colour print.
<21>Photograph: unknown. unknown. Working barges at Beaumont Quay. B & W.
<21>Photograph: unknown. 1996/7. Beaumont Quay tile kiln prior to renovation. 7 photographs. Colour print.
<22>Photograph: unknown. 1996/7. Beaumont Quay tile kiln prior to renovation. 7 photographs. Colour print.
<22>Photograph: unknown. unknown. 22 photographs of the area around Beaumont Quay taken late 1990s. Colour print.
<22>DESC TEXT: unknown. 2005. Condition Assessment and Conservation Management Statement.
<23>Photograph: unknown. unknown. Beaumont Quay.

Related records

14891Parent of: Beaumont Quay Area - cuts and barge (Maritime)
14892Parent of: Beaumont Quay Area - sluices (Monument)
14893Parent of: Beaumont Quay Area - Sluices (Monument)