HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Essex HER Result
Essex HERPrintable version | About Essex HER | Visit Essex HER online...

Name:All Saints Church, Wickham St Paul
SMR Number:9482
Type of record:Monument
Grid Reference:TL 827 371
Map Sheet:TL83NW
Parish:WICKHAM ST PAUL, BRAINTREE, ESSEX

Summary

The church was restored in the C19 when the north organ chamber and chapel were added.

Full description

The church was restored in the C19 when the north organ chamber and chapel were added. The south porch is ancient but was enclosed in the C19. Features and fittings include; two late C16 bells, early C17 table; C17 floor slab in churchyard. <1> C19 additions in flint rubble. Church has C20 features also. <2> AP <3> <4>
Potted history and photos of the church are in source <5>


<1> RCHME, 1916, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 1, Vol 1, pp343-344 (DESC TEXT). SEX701.


<2> unknown, 1984, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Braintree, p47 (DESC TEXT). SEX27284.


<3> Strachan, David, 1999, Wickham hall, BW/99/9/8 (AP). SEX62280.


<4> Strachan, David, 1999, Wickham hall, BW/99/9/7 (AP). SEX62281.


<5> Knight, Beryl, unknown, The History of Wickham St Paul (DESC TEXT). SEX67693.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (c19, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building (EH) (II*) 1168870: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Sources and further reading

<1>DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1916. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 1. Vol 1, pp343-344.
<2>DESC TEXT: unknown. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Braintree. p47.
<3>AP: Strachan, David. 1999. Wickham hall. BW/99/9/8.
<4>AP: Strachan, David. 1999. Wickham hall. BW/99/9/7.
<5>DESC TEXT: Knight, Beryl. unknown. The History of Wickham St Paul.

Related records

9483Parent of: All Saints churchyard, Wickham St Paul (Monument)

Images

No image description available  © Essex County Council

No image description available © Essex County Council