HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Browne's Hospital, Broad Street, Stamford
HER Number:30626
Type of record:Building

Summary

An almshouse built in 1475, then almost completely rebuilt in 1870, although retaining some original features.

Grid Reference:TF 029 072
Map Sheet:TF00NW
Parish:STAMFORD, SOUTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 30626
The Hospital of All Saints, founded by William Brown in 1485. It had alterations and additions, including a tower, made to the building in the 19th century. {1}{2}{3}{4}

The date of origin is 1475, and it was called originally Claymonte Hospital. Its statutes were redrawn up in 1489 on Browne's death. {5}

Stained glass in this building can be found in the Chapel, the Audit Room and the Entrance Passage, which retain much of their original glazing. The glass dates to about 1475 and the style and iconography is of great interest. {6}

Browne's Hospital is one of the best surviving medieval almshouses in England and is unusual as it was built with two floors. The building was completed in 1475. The audit room was lit by four Perpendicular Gothic windows and might have been used as a guildhall, possibly for the Guild of All Saints. In 1870, the hospital was almost completely rebuilt by James Fowler, although the chapel still retains many original features. {7}

For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {8}

Browne's Hospital was founded in 1475-76 by William Browne, merchant. It consisted of a courtyard with the main range including the chapel, dormitory, Audit Room and gatehouse on the south, a cloister on the west and service accommodation and gardens to the north. It provided accommodation for ten poor men and two women under the supervision of a warden and confrater. The chapel was 'beautified' between 1769 and 1785 and the porch was rebuilt in 1808. Major alterations and restoration were carried out in 1870 by James Fowler, including alterations to the main range and the replacement of the service buildings with a range of new almshouses in the Gothic style. The cubicles in the former dormitory were also removed. The main range retains early stained glass of special importance as well as various early fittings including a medieval alms box, wooden chair and chests, a late 15th century screen and 15th century chapel stalls with carved misericords and hand rests. The designs of the carvings on the chapel stalls include mermaids, dragons, eagles and beasts. {9}{10}{11}{12}


<1> SMR cards for Stamford, TF 00 NW:BE - (Index). SLI3292.

<2> Ordnance Survey, O.S. cards for Stamford, TF 00 NW:4,1961, BHS (Index). SLI2751.

<3> William Page (ed), 1906, The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2, VOL 2, P 234 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1104.

<4> JONES, P.T., 1959, STAMFORD CHURCHES, - (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1108.

<5> Hartley, J.S. and Rogers, A., 1974, The Religious Foundations of Medieval Stamford, No 22, p 48 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1102.

<6> Hebgin-Barnes, Penny, 1996, The Medieval Stained Glass of the County of Lincolnshire, pp. 288-96 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI7602.

<7> Smith, M., 1990, Stamford Almshouses, p.6 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI12378.

<8> Department of the Environment, 1974, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 1/54 (Index). SLI6708.

<9> Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1977, An Inventory of Historical Monuments. The Town of Stamford, No 48, pp 37-42 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI912.

<10> Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram, 1989, Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition), pp 697-98 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1062.

<11> Crust, Linda, 2002, Lincolnshire Almshouses: Nine Centuries of Charitable Housing, pp 8-13; No 41, p20 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI9009.

<12> ROGERS, A., 1970, The Medieval Buildings of Stamford, No 7, pp 21-22 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI12932.

Monument Types

  • ALMSHOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1475 AD to 2050 AD)
  • CHAPEL (Medieval to Modern - 1475 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to Browne's Hospital, Broad Street, Stamford

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Conservation Area

Sources and further reading

<1>Index: SMR cards for Stamford. STAMFORD. TF 00 NW:BE -.
<2>Index: Ordnance Survey. O.S. cards for Stamford. STAMFORD. TF 00 NW:4,1961, BHS.
<3>Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. VOL 2, P 234.
<4>Bibliographic Reference: JONES, P.T.. 1959. STAMFORD CHURCHES. -.
<5>Bibliographic Reference: Hartley, J.S. and Rogers, A.. 1974. The Religious Foundations of Medieval Stamford. No 22, p 48.
<6>Bibliographic Reference: Hebgin-Barnes, Penny. 1996. The Medieval Stained Glass of the County of Lincolnshire. pp. 288-96.
<7>Bibliographic Reference: Smith, M.. 1990. Stamford Almshouses. p.6.
<8>Index: Department of the Environment. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 1/54.
<9>Bibliographic Reference: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1977. An Inventory of Historical Monuments. The Town of Stamford. No 48, pp 37-42.
<10>Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). pp 697-98.
<11>Bibliographic Reference: Crust, Linda. 2002. Lincolnshire Almshouses: Nine Centuries of Charitable Housing. pp 8-13; No 41, p20.
<12>Bibliographic Reference: ROGERS, A.. 1970. The Medieval Buildings of Stamford. No 7, pp 21-22.

Related records

38931Parent of: War Memorial, Broad Street, Stamford (Monument)
37237Related to: Warden's house to Browne's Hospital, Broad Street, Stamford (Building)