HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish
HER Number:33601
Type of record:Building

Summary

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish

Images

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St Stephen's Church, Careby in Careby, Aunby and Holywell parish © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Grid Reference:TF 025 164
Map Sheet:TF01NW
Parish:CAREBY AUNBY AND HOLYWELL, SOUTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 33601
A late Norman to Perpendicular church. On the south door is a sanctuary knocker. {1}{2}{3}{4}

In 1965 the church was in normal use. Inside the church is the head and shaft of a churchyard cross. {1}

Stained glass found in this church has been dated to about 1275 to 1300 and appears to be coeval with a late 13th century heart burial set in the west wall of the north chapel. {7}

A church with its earliest features dating to the 12th century. It is built of limestone ashlar and coursed limestone rubble with lead roofs. It has an early 13th century tower with weather vane. There is a 12th century chancel and a gabled, late 13th century, south porch. There is an original 14th century planked door with contemporary iron closing ring with pierced decorative plate and ring depicting St. Stephen with lizards whispering in his ears. Inside there are 15th century three bay nave arcades. In the wall of the vestry there is a 13th century quatrefoil with hands clasping a heart. In the sanctuary a 14th century effigy of a knight with chain mail and surcoat, and feet resting on a lion. In the south aisle an unusual early 14th century double effigy of a knight and lady under a coverlet with shield and cusped surround. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {8}

In the south aisle is a very well preserved limestone effigy of a knight and his lady lying beneath a quilt. Only the upper bodies and feet are showing, and the hands are raised in prayer. It dates to around 1300 to 1325. The knight has traditionally been identified as Sir William Bayous but he did not die until after 1351 and so it is more likely to be the effigy of his father Suspirius de Bayous who died in 1292 and the monument set up in the first decade of the 14th century. {9}


<1> OS CARD INDEX, TF01NW2,1965, DA (Index). SLI2436.


<2> Cox, J. Charles, 1924, Little Guide: Lincolnshire (second edition), p.94-95 (Bibliographic reference). SLI896.


<3> Ministry of Housing and Local Gov, 1961, MHLG, 2376A:11:A 5 (Unpublished document). SLI4519.


<4> Walker, H, 1933, The Lincolnshire Magazine, Vol 1 Part 4 pp. 142-43 (Serial). SLI3983.


<5> SMR FILE, TF01NW:F - (Index). SLI2953.


<6> Butler, L.A.S., 1977, MEDIEVAL ARCHAEOLOGY, VOL XXI: P 194-7 (Article in serial). SLI525.


<7> Hebgin-Barnes, Penny, 1996, The Medieval Stained Glass of the County of Lincolnshire, p. 63 (Bibliographic reference). SLI7602.


<8> Department of the Environment, 1986, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 9/31 (Index). SLI12338.


<9> Downing, Mark, 2010, Medieval Military Monuments in Lincolnshire, No.10, pp.30-32 (Bibliographic reference). SLI14626.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1250 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Medieval to Modern - 1300 AD? to 2050 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<1>Index: OS CARD INDEX. CAREBY, AUNBY AND HOLYWELL. TF01NW2,1965, DA.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. Charles. 1924. Little Guide: Lincolnshire (second edition). p.94-95.
<3>Unpublished document: Ministry of Housing and Local Gov. 1961. MHLG. 2376A:11:A 5.
<4>Serial: Walker, H. 1933. The Lincolnshire Magazine. Vol 1 Part 4 pp. 142-43.
<5>Index: SMR FILE. CAREBY, AUNBY AND HOLYWELL. TF01NW:F -.
<6>Article in serial: Butler, L.A.S.. 1977. MEDIEVAL ARCHAEOLOGY. VOL XXI: P 194-7.
<7>Bibliographic reference: Hebgin-Barnes, Penny. 1996. The Medieval Stained Glass of the County of Lincolnshire. p. 63.
<8>Index: Department of the Environment. 1986. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 9/31.
<9>Bibliographic reference: Downing, Mark. 2010. Medieval Military Monuments in Lincolnshire. No.10, pp.30-32.

Related records

38716Parent of: Gravestone, St Stephen's churchyard, Careby, Aunby and Holywell (Monument)
37720Parent of: Two gravestone at St Stephen's churchyard, Careby Aunby and Holywell (Monument)
33809Related to: MEDIEVAL STONE CROSS, ST STEPHEN'S CHURCH, CAREBY (Monument)