HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:MULTIVALLATE ENCLOSURE, KIRKSTEAD
HER Number:40096
Type of record:Monument

Summary

Small multivallate hillfort 460m east of Old Abbey Farm

Grid Reference:TF 195 608
Map Sheet:TF16SE
Parish:KIRKSTEAD, EAST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

Cropmarks of a multivallate Iron Age type enclosure. This is a triple-ditched ovoid feature with annexes to south and east.{1}
Colquhoun of the Ordnance Survey noted that the site is in a commanding position and appears to be Iron Age in form. He notes that the area was probably marsh in the prehistoric period.{2}
The monument is scheduled as an Iron Age small multivallate hillfort, measuring 120m by 90m. It is a very similar size and form as one at Tattershall Thorpe. {3}
The monument has also been interpreted as a medieval decoy pond. {4}


<1> J.K.S. St Joseph, 1945-79, Cambridge University Collection, 113:196610 BT 59 (Aerial Photograph). SLI175.

<2> OS CARD INDEX, TF16SE5,1965, COLQUHOUN F (Index). SLI2587.

<3> English Heritage, 1999, Scheduling document 29728, MPP 22 (Scheduling Record). SLI5373.

<4> Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1992-1996, National Mapping Programme, TF1960:LI.468.1.1 (Map). SLI3613.

Monument Types

  • ENCLOSURE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
  • HILLFORT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)

Associated Events

  • Field observation of hillfort

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

<1>Aerial Photograph: J.K.S. St Joseph. 1945-79. Cambridge University Collection. 113:196610 BT 59.
<2>Index: OS CARD INDEX. KIRKSTEAD. TF16SE5,1965, COLQUHOUN F.
<3>Scheduling Record: English Heritage. 1999. Scheduling document 29728. MPP 22.
<4>Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF1960:LI.468.1.1.

Related records

43556Related to: Small multivallate enclosure, 340m south of North Road Farm, Tattershall Thorpe (Monument)