HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Georgian House of Norton Place, Bishop Norton
HER Number:50850
Type of record:Building

Summary

Georgian House of Norton Place, Bishop Norton

Images

Norton Place, Bishop Norton  © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton  © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton  © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton  © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton  © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton  © West Lindsey District Council

Norton Place, Bishop Norton © West Lindsey District Council

Georgian House of Norton Place, Bishop Norton  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Georgian House of Norton Place, Bishop Norton © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Georgian House of Norton Place, Bishop Norton  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Georgian House of Norton Place, Bishop Norton © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Georgian House of Norton Place, Bishop Norton  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Georgian House of Norton Place, Bishop Norton © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Grid Reference:SK 972 908
Map Sheet:SK99SE
Parish:BISHOP NORTON, WEST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

The park and house of Norton Place were created de novo in the late 1770s over part of the former open West Field. {2}
Norton Place is set on the edge of plantations in former parkland. The house was built for John Harrison MP by John Carr in 1776, and is one of his best small designs. It has a stone south front of seven bays and has two storeys, the three centre bays more widely spaced beneath a pediment. It also has triangular pediments to the ground-floor windows and flat entablatures to the upper ones. The entrance is a Doric porch against a tripartite motif. Above it is an Ionic Venetian window, and above that in the pediment is a circular light garlanded with foliage and tied up with a bow. The side fronts have deep canted bays, a favourite Carr device, topped with urns. The one on the west side was raised in 1830 by Lewis Vulliamy, who also added the porch to this front. The plan is the familiar neo-classical layout of rooms off a top-lit central staircase hall, oval here, with a curved cantilevered stone staircase and an s-scroll iron balustrade, a variation on the balustrade of Inigo Jones's Tulip Stair at the Queen's House, Greenwich. There is a galleried upper landing. The main rooms with the canted bays have opposite canted ends making them octagonal. The dining room in addition has large niches. The drawing room has a delicate oval-pattern plaster ceiling with inset Wedgwood plaques depicting antique heads. All the rooms have good chimney pieces. The stables make a courtyard to the rear. Three-bay arcaded centre and wings. There are also lodges with screen walls, urns, and rusticated piers. {1}
For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {4}


<1> Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N., 1989, Buildings of England (Second Edition), 2nd Rev Edn p148 (Bibliographic reference). SLI1062.


<2> Everson, P.L., Taylor, C.C. and Dunn, C.J., 1991, Change and Continuity: Rural Settlement in North-West Lincolnshire, ARCHIVE NOTES (Bibliographic reference). SLI1063.


<3> Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N., 1989, Buildings of England (Second Edition), 2nd Rev Edn PLATE 93 (Bibliographic reference). SLI1062.


<4> Department of the Environment, 1985, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 3/1 (Index). SLI5534.

Monument Types

  • COUNTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1770 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N.. 1989. Buildings of England (Second Edition). Lincolnshire. 2nd Rev Edn p148.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Everson, P.L., Taylor, C.C. and Dunn, C.J.. 1991. Change and Continuity: Rural Settlement in North-West Lincolnshire. ARCHIVE NOTES.
<3>Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N.. 1989. Buildings of England (Second Edition). Lincolnshire. 2nd Rev Edn PLATE 93.
<4>Index: Department of the Environment. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 3/1.

Related records

55885Parent of: Coach House, Norton Place, Bishop Norton (Building)
56165Parent of: Gate Lodges, gateway and gates at Norton Place, Bishop Norton (Building)
56484Parent of: Georgian Park of Norton Place, Bishop Norton (Monument)