HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Georgian Manor House and outbuildings, Old Hall Farm, Caenby
HER Number:51062
Type of record:Building

Summary

A probably medieval house which was rebuilt in 1774.

Images

Hall Farm House, Caenby  © West Lindsey District Council

Hall Farm House, Caenby © West Lindsey District Council

Hall Farm House, Caenby  © West Lindsey District Council

Hall Farm House, Caenby © West Lindsey District Council

Georgian Manor House and outbuildings, Old Hall Farm, Caenby  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Georgian Manor House and outbuildings, Old Hall Farm, Caenby © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Georgian Manor House and outbuildings, Old Hall Farm, Caenby  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Georgian Manor House and outbuildings, Old Hall Farm, Caenby © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Georgian Manor House and outbuildings, Old Hall Farm, Caenby  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Georgian Manor House and outbuildings, Old Hall Farm, Caenby © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Grid Reference:TF 000 892
Map Sheet:TF08NW
Parish:CAENBY, WEST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

The probable medieval manor house at Old Hall Farm (formerly Caenby House) was substantially rebuilt in 1774 by the Monck/Middleton family who had inherited the Tournay estate in the mid 18th century. There is a datestone on the south front of the house reading '1774 LM'. The stables bear the name and date 'L.Monck 1788' [PRN 56168], and the brick dovecote is of the same date [PRN 55889]. The field to the northeast was called 'Dovecote Close' on the tithe award map of 1844, and that to the south 'Kitchen Close and garden'. The F-shaped pond below the terrace may also be an 18th century ornamental feature (PRN 50284). The Monck/ Middletons also created the emparked residence of Caenby Hall 3km to the west in the 18th century, which briefly became the main residence. {1}{2}
A house which was built upon medieval foundations. It underwent extensive rebuilding in 1774 and further alterations and additions in the 19th century. {3}


<1> Everson, P.L., Taylor, C.C. and Dunn, C.J., 1991, Change and Continuity: Rural Settlement in North-West Lincolnshire, ARCHIVE NOTES (Bibliographic reference). SLI1063.


<2> Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N., 1989, Buildings of England (Second Edition), 2nd Rev Edn p205 (Bibliographic reference). SLI1062.


<3> Department of the Environment, 1985, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 6/9 (Index). SLI5534.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1773 AD?)
  • MANOR HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1774 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: Everson, P.L., Taylor, C.C. and Dunn, C.J.. 1991. Change and Continuity: Rural Settlement in North-West Lincolnshire. ARCHIVE NOTES.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N.. 1989. Buildings of England (Second Edition). Lincolnshire. 2nd Rev Edn p205.
<3>Index: Department of the Environment. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 6/9.

Related records

55889Parent of: Pigeoncote at Hall Farm, Caenby (Building)
56168Parent of: Stable block at Hall Farm, Caenby (Building)
50284Related to: POSSIBLE ORNAMENTAL MOAT AT OLD HALL FARM, CAENBY (Monument)
51061Related to: REMAINS OF A PROBABLE MEDIEVAL MANOR HOUSE AT OLD HALL FARM (Monument)