HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Church of St Mary the Virgin, Stow
HER Number:52434
Type of record:Building

Summary

A church built in c.1034 to 1049 which was restored in c.1090, c.1150, c.1170, the 13th and the early 15th century and restored in 1864 to 1867.

Grid Reference:SK 881 820
Map Sheet:SK88SE
Parish:STOW, WEST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

The Church of St Mary the Virgin was part of the Benedictine Abbey of Stow, which was founded in 1005 for secular canons, and refounded in 1091. It is still the parish church. Under the church are the remains of previous churches, and the ground around it is scheduled. {1}{2}{3}{4}{5}{6}

A church built in c.1034 to 1049 which was restored in c.1090, c.1150, c.1170, the 13th and the early 15th century. The chancel was restored in 1850 to 1852 and the remainder of the church was restored in 1864 to 1867. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {7}


<1> Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram, 1989, Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition), p.722 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1062.

<2> Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Card Index, SK 88 SE: 3 (Index). SLI2344.

<3> Lincolnshire County Council, Sites and Monuments Record Card Index, SK 88 SE: Q (Index). SLI2881.

<4> PARISH FILE, St Mary's Church folder (Unpublished Document). SLI4762.

<5> ENGLISH HERITAGE, 1995, SCHEDULING DOCUMENT 22621, MPP 33 (Scheduling Record). SLI4355.

<6> A.B. Page (ed.), 1984, 'Archaeology in Lincolnshire and South Humberside, 1983' in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, vol.19, p.105 (Article in Serial). SLI707.

<7> Department of the Environment, 1985, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 4/48 (Index). SLI2223.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Early Medieval/Dark Age - 800 AD to 1034 AD)
  • CHURCH (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Medieval - 1034 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p.722.
<2>Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Card Index. SK 88 SE: 3.
<3>Index: Lincolnshire County Council. Sites and Monuments Record Card Index. SK 88 SE: Q.
<4>Unpublished Document: PARISH FILE. STOW. St Mary's Church folder.
<5>Scheduling Record: ENGLISH HERITAGE. 1995. SCHEDULING DOCUMENT 22621. MPP 33.
<6>Article in Serial: A.B. Page (ed.). 1984. 'Archaeology in Lincolnshire and South Humberside, 1983' in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology. vol.19, p.105.
<7>Index: Department of the Environment. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 4/48.

Related records

50246Related to: SITE OF A COLLEGE AND BENEDICTINE ABBEY, ST MARY'S CHURCH (Monument)
50262Related to: SITE OF A COLLEGE AND BENEDICTINE ABBEY, ST MARY'S CHURCH (Monument)