HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Site of the medieval chapel of St Leonard, North Hykeham village
HER Number:61166
Type of record:Monument

Summary

Site of the medieval chapel of St Leonard, North Hykeham village

Grid Reference:SK 948 657
Map Sheet:SK96NW
Parish:NORTH HYKEHAM, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

61166
A medieval chapel site is marked on the 1932 OS County Series map and 1:10560 OS map, known as St Leonard's. {1}{2}{5}
A chapel which was part of St Catherine's Grange at North Hykeham is mentioned in medieval documents. Where the owner of the parish church had omitted to restrict the services or neglected to establish his right to the offerings and tithes of those who frequented the chapel, its founders and successors might well claim that it had become a 'free chapel' which lay outside the parochial system. This occurred at the chapel in North Hykeham. {3}
This may be the site of the medieval church. It appears that the chapel/church on this site was in ruins by 1700. {4}
A trial trench evaluation carried out in January 2009, recorded 30 features interpreted as graves associated with the chapel. Articulated skeletal remains were revealed in 20 of the graves, which were concentrated in the north half of the evaluated area. Individual cuts for the graves became apparent at depths of between 0.65m and 1.2m below existing ground level, with an overlying deposit of undifferentiated graveyard soil extending throughout the trenches. Dating evidence was sparse, being restricted to a small group of medieval to post-medieval tile. {6}{7}
The medieval chapel of St Leonard was located on this site. Earthworks were visible on part of the site until recently when it was ploughed. The chapel is first mentioned in a document of 1160. In 1254 it was the poorest church in the deanery of Graffoe and it is mentioned again in 1293. It had rights of baptism, burial and marriage however it was described in 1311 as a 'parochial chapel' and the congregation were told not to attend mass there and to go instead to the church at South Hykeham. In 1535 the North Hykeham chapel was described as a 'free chapel'. It appears to have been dilapidated if not ruinous by the 18th century and the last part of the structure was pulled down in 1780, although burials continued in the graveyard until 1855. Eventually, following appeals from the Bishop and much fundraising, a new church was built on a new site in 1858 (see PRN 61158). {7}{8}


<1> Ordnance Survey, 1931-1932, 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Third Edition, 78/2 (Map). SLI5667.

<2> OS, 1956, OS 6 INCH SERIES, SK 96 NW (Map). SLI3659.

<3> Dorothy M. Owen, 1971, Church and Society in Medieval England, page 6 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1064.

<4> North Hykeham Town Council, 1998-2000, North Hykeham Town Guide, - (Bibliographic Reference). SLI5754.

<5> North Kesteven Records, NK43.1 (Index). SLI9376.

<6> Allen Archaeological Associates, Feb 2009, Trial Trenching of Land off Meadow Lane, North Hykeham, Lincolnshire, MLNH09 (Report). SLI12514.

<7> Allen Archaeological Associates, Feb 2009, Trial Trenching of Land off Meadow Lane, North Hykeham, Lincolnshire, LCNCC 2009.13 (Archive). SLI12515.

<8> Wilson, B. and Marriott, J., 2001, North Hykeham in the 20th Century, p 156 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI6451.

<9> J.A.M., 2010, Emails regarding North Hykeham church, - (Electronic Communication). SLI12931.

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1855 AD)
  • CHAPEL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1780 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1700 AD?)
  • ROOF TILE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1300 AD to 1700 AD)

Associated Events

  • Trial Trench Evaluation on Land off Meadow Lane, North Hykeham

Sources and further reading

<1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1931-1932. 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Third Edition. 1:2500. 78/2.
<2>Map: OS. 1956. OS 6 INCH SERIES. SK 96 NW.
<3>Bibliographic Reference: Dorothy M. Owen. 1971. Church and Society in Medieval England. page 6.
<4>Bibliographic Reference: North Hykeham Town Council. 1998-2000. North Hykeham Town Guide. -.
<5>Index: North Kesteven Records. North Hykeham. NK43.1.
<6>Report: Allen Archaeological Associates. Feb 2009. Trial Trenching of Land off Meadow Lane, North Hykeham, Lincolnshire. MLNH09.
<7>Archive: Allen Archaeological Associates. Feb 2009. Trial Trenching of Land off Meadow Lane, North Hykeham, Lincolnshire. LCNCC 2009.13.
<8>Bibliographic Reference: Wilson, B. and Marriott, J.. 2001. North Hykeham in the 20th Century. p 156.
<9>Electronic Communication: J.A.M.. 2010. Emails regarding North Hykeham church. -.

Related records

61168Related to: St Catherine's Grange, North Hykeham (Monument)