HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Branston Settlement
HER Number:61632
Type of record:Monument

Summary

Branston settlement has its origins in the Anglo-Saxon period, and survives to the present.

Grid Reference:TF 020 672
Map Sheet:TF06NW
Parish:BRANSTON AND MERE, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

The name 'Branston' means 'Brand's farmstead or village' from the Old Norse personal name Brandr. The second element is from the Old English 'tun'. It was probably an Anglo-Saxon settlement taken over, and partially renamed by the Danes. It is thought to have been a pre-Conquest settlement of high status. {1}{2}

Branston is mentioned in the Domesday Book, when land there was owned by Walter de Aincurt, which was previously owned by Haminc. His land was assessed at 12 carucates. Every Lincolnshire village assessed at 12 carucates was known as a hundred in the 11th century. Walter de Aincurt was a kinsman of Remigius with estates in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lincoln and Yorkshire. His chief seat was at Branston, and the fact that his son founded the Augustinian priory at Thugarton no doubt explains the considerable estate which that house acquired in Lincoln. A church and a priest are also mentioned. Branston was a relatively large settlement at this time with a minimum population of approximately 73. {3}{4}

In 1466 Branston was brought into the City, and during the 19th century was one of the parishes which formed part of the Liberty of Lincoln City. In 1563 the Diocesan Return records 72 householders in Branston. Enclosure occurred in 1765. The population rose during the 19th century from 445 to 1216 in 1901. {5}{6}{7}

A sixteenth century jetton of Hans Schultes of Nuremburg was found in the garden of Lorien Cottage, Hall Lane (TF 0202 6720). {8}{9}

A French mid fifteenth century official jetton was found in a garden on Rectory Lane. {10}

Also a copper alloy weight of hollow, inverted, truncated cone form with ring and dot ornament around the rim, from a sixteenth to seventeenth weight box from 12 Silver Street. {11}

During a watching brief at Church Road a feature interpreted as a moat was identified, and it is suggested that the site of Hainton House was originally that of a medieval manor (see record 61205). Two post medieval building phases were also recorded. {12}{13}

Several linear earthworks were noted in the area to immediate west of the north to south aligned part of Hall Lane (PRN 61632a - TF 0193 6716). The features were identified on the Google Maps aerial photographic layer, viewed in 2006 and 2010, and were confirmed by ground observations undertaken in 2010. The earthworks seem to define part of a square area of land which was thought to represent the remains of a former building platform, and possibly being the site of the former Branston Manor House. {14}{15}


<1> Kenneth Cameron, 1984, The Place-Names of Lincolnshire, Part 1, pp.19-20 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI6442.

<2> Paul Everson and David Stocker, 1999, Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture, p.74 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI5526.

<3> C.W. Foster and T. Longley, 1924, Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey, 31/11, 16, 18; 72/14 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI893.

<4> HILL, J.W.F., 1948, Medieval Lincoln, p.51 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1087.

<5> William Page (ed), 1906, The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2, p.377 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1104.

<6> Gerald A.J. Hodgett, 1975, Tudor Lincolnshire, p.189 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI6089.

<7> Branston History Group, 2000, Branston Remembered, p.6 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI6634.

<8> SMR file for Branston and Mere, TF 06 NW:AF; RWH; 22/2/77 (Index). SLI2926.

<9> North Kesteven records, NK13.21 (Index). SLI6609.

<10> SMR file for Branston and Mere, TF 06 NW; AJW; 11/12/79 (Index). SLI2926.

<11> SMR file for Branston and Mere, TF 06 NW; AJW; 8/8/78 (Index). SLI2926.

<12> Lindsey Archaeological Services, May 2000, Watching brief on Branston Mains Relay: Branston & Washingborough, WBM99 (Report). SLI6027.

<13> Lindsey Archaeological Services, May 2000, Watching brief on Branston Mains Relay: Branston & Washingborough, LCNCC 193.99 (Archive). SLI6028.

<14> Mills, D. and J., 2010, A note on the site of Branston Manor House, - (Unpublished Document). SLI12944.

<15> Google, 2006->, Google Maps and Street View, Accessed 2006 and 23/04/2010 (Website). SLI11533.

Monument Types

  • SETTLEMENT (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1400 AD to 1700 AD)

Associated Finds

  • JETTON (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1400 AD to 1600 AD)
  • WEIGHT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1500 AD to 1700 AD)

Associated Events

  • Watching brief on Branston Mains Relay
  • Observation of trenches, 7-9 High St.
  • Branston Church Hall

Protected Status

  • Conservation Area

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1984. The Place-Names of Lincolnshire, Part 1. 1. pp.19-20.
<2>Bibliographic Reference: Paul Everson and David Stocker. 1999. Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture. Lincolnshire. p.74.
<3>Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 31/11, 16, 18; 72/14.
<4>Bibliographic Reference: HILL, J.W.F.. 1948. Medieval Lincoln. p.51.
<5>Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p.377.
<6>Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p.189.
<7>Bibliographic Reference: Branston History Group. 2000. Branston Remembered. p.6.
<8>Index: SMR file for Branston and Mere. BRANSTON AND MERE. TF 06 NW:AF; RWH; 22/2/77.
<9>Index: North Kesteven records. Branston and Mere. NK13.21.
<10>Index: SMR file for Branston and Mere. BRANSTON AND MERE. TF 06 NW; AJW; 11/12/79.
<11>Index: SMR file for Branston and Mere. BRANSTON AND MERE. TF 06 NW; AJW; 8/8/78.
<12>Report: Lindsey Archaeological Services. May 2000. Watching brief on Branston Mains Relay: Branston & Washingborough. WBM99.
<13>Archive: Lindsey Archaeological Services. May 2000. Watching brief on Branston Mains Relay: Branston & Washingborough. LCNCC 193.99.
<14>Unpublished Document: Mills, D. and J.. 2010. A note on the site of Branston Manor House. -.
<15>Website: Google. 2006->. Google Maps and Street View. www.google.co.uk/maps. Accessed 2006 and 23/04/2010.

Related records

61205Related to: Possible moated site, Church Road (Monument)