HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:RAF Fulbeck
HER Number:63357
Type of record:Monument

Summary

RAF Fulbeck was opened in 1940, and finally closed in 1970. It was used by the USAAF and Bomber Command, and as a training airfield for RAF Cranwell.

Grid Reference:SK 898 509
Map Sheet:SK85SE
Parish:FENTON, SOUTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE
FULBECK, SOUTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE
LEADENHAM, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE
CAYTHORPE, SOUTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

63357
RAF Fulbeck was unique amongst Lincolnshire airfields in that it was used by both the US 9th Army Air Force and RAF Bomber Command. The Americans used it as part of their airborne assault on Normandy and to support airborne operations in Holland, while two Lancaster squadrons of 5 Group were to fly from Fulbeck for the last six months of the war. The airfield had first come into use in 1940 when Cranwell was looking for relief landing grounds for its large number of training aircraft. As a result some temporary buildings were erected and runways laid out on a large, relatively flat site three miles west of the village of Fulbeck. There is some evidence to suggest that it was used extensively, particularly in 1941 as training demands grew almost by the week at Cranwell.
By the end of 1941 agreement had been reached to build a full-scale airfield at Fulbeck for 5 Group of Bomber Command, and all flying ceased in February 1942 as the contractors moved in. Three concrete runways were laid and three T2 hangars erected, two others being built some time later for the storage of gliders.
By December 1942 night flying training was carried out for crews from Cranwell.
In September 1943 it was allocated to USAAF in readiness for its key role in the D-Day landings in Normandy and operations in Holland. The run-down of RAF Fulbeck began on 8th April 1945.
The station was later handed over to Maintenance Command and was used for disposal sales of air surplus stores. In the 1950s it housed the Air Historical Branch's aircraft collection, many of which are now in the RAF Museum. Fulbeck was to ends its military life as it began, as a relief landing ground for Cranwell. It closed in the late 1960s. {1}{2}

Remains of the airfield are still visible on aerial photographs and were plotted by the National Mapping Programme. {3}


<1> Otter, P, 1996, Lincolnshire Airfields in the Second World War, pp.19,24,25,37,119-122 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI7228.

<2> T.N. Hancock, 1978, Bomber County, pp.53,68,69,71,73,80,85,86,104,105,116 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1060.

<3> Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1992-1996, National Mapping Programme, SK9051:LI.716.12.1 (Map). SLI3613.

Monument Types

  • AIRFIELD (Modern - 1940 AD to 1970 AD)
  • MILITARY AIRFIELD (Modern - 1940 AD to 1970 AD)

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic Reference: Otter, P. 1996. Lincolnshire Airfields in the Second World War. pp.19,24,25,37,119-122.
<2>Bibliographic Reference: T.N. Hancock. 1978. Bomber County. pp.53,68,69,71,73,80,85,86,104,105,116.
<3>Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. SK9051:LI.716.12.1.