HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, Binbrook
HER Number:45866
Type of record:Building

Summary

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, east side of High Street, Binbrook.

Images

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, Binbrook  © Lincolnshire County Council

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, Binbrook © Lincolnshire County Council

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, Binbrook  © Lincolnshire County Council

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, Binbrook © Lincolnshire County Council

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, Binbrook  © Lincolnshire County Council

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, Binbrook © Lincolnshire County Council

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, Binbrook  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, Binbrook © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Grid Reference:TF 210 937
Map Sheet:TF29SW
Parish:BINBROOK, EAST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

A Wesleyan Methodist chapel, built in 1877. It is marked on the 1906 county series map and is still standing. {1}{2}{3}

The chapel was the subject of a programme of historic building recording, conducted in July 2008 prior to its proposed conversion to housing. The building was designed by Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln and was officially opened by the Rev. M.C. Osborn of London on June 13th 1878. It replaced a nearby and smaller chapel of 1816, which then became a Wesleyan school and Sunday School (see PRN 45868). The chapel remained in use until 2000, although dwindling congregations in the 20th century lead to various alterations such as the removal of some pews. There are several datestones around the exterior of the building commemorating its construction. It is built of red brick with exterior and interior embellishments appropriate for its original congregation of moderately wealthy farmers and businessmen. Minor extensions and alterations were carried out in the 20th century. {4}{5}

The building was included in a survey of nonconformist chapels in East Lindsey District. {6}


<1> Ordnance Survey, 1906, Ordnance Survey County Series twenty-five inch map 1906, 39/13 (Map). SLI5466.


<2> Stell, Christopher, 2002, Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England, p.197 (Bibliographic reference). SLI9202.


<3> Rawding, Charles, 1991, 'Methodism in Nineteenth Century Binbrook' in Lincolnshire Past and Present, vol.3, pp.2-5 (Article in serial). SLI9969.


<4> Archaeological Project Services, 2008, Former Methodist Church, High Street, Binbrook, APS site code: BBHS08 (Intervention Report). SLI12080.


<5> Archaeological Project Services, 2008, Former Methodist Church, High Street, Binbrook, LCNCC 2008.105 (Excavation archive). SLI12081.


<6> Lincolnshire County Council, 2013, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels in East Lindsey, Binbrook (Digital archive). SLI14499.

Monument Types

  • WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1877 AD to 2000 AD)

Associated Events

  • Former Methodist Church, High Street, Binbrook
  • Site Visit to the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, East Side of High Street, Binbrook

Protected Status

  • Conservation Area

Sources and further reading

<1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey County Series twenty-five inch map 1906. paper. 1:2500. 39/13.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Stell, Christopher. 2002. Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England. p.197.
<3>Article in serial: Rawding, Charles. 1991. 'Methodism in Nineteenth Century Binbrook' in Lincolnshire Past and Present. vol.3, pp.2-5.
<4>Intervention Report: Archaeological Project Services. 2008. Former Methodist Church, High Street, Binbrook. APS site code: BBHS08.
<5>Excavation archive: Archaeological Project Services. 2008. Former Methodist Church, High Street, Binbrook. LCNCC 2008.105.
<6>Digital archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2013. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels in East Lindsey. Binbrook.